Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Catalyst 4006 and GBIC question

Catalyst 4006 and GBIC question

Rob

I have a 4006 with a Supervisor II card, Layer 3 routing module and
several 48-port 10/100 modules.

Are the two GBIC ports on both the SUP card and L3 module all the
same? Can they be used at layer 2 to bridge traffic and configure
them in trunk mode? Or are the GBIC ports on the L3 module special
and layer 3 only?

Thanks,
Bob

chris@nospam.com

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 05:57:35 -0500, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a 4006 with a Supervisor II card, Layer 3 routing module and
>several 48-port 10/100 modules.
>
>Are the two GBIC ports on both the SUP card and L3 module all the
>same? Can they be used at layer 2 to bridge traffic and configure
>them in trunk mode? Or are the GBIC ports on the L3 module special
>and layer 3 only?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

The GBICs on the SUP card and the L3 module look like any other gbic -
nothing special about them. The ones on the L3 module are numbers
gi03 and gi 0/4. The L3 engine isn't integrated into the backplane
and appears like a router-on-a-stick with Gi 1 and Gi 2 being it's
connections to the backplane.