Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > do my files on my HD get deleted?

do my files on my HD get deleted?

transient individual

I'm planning on installing Win Xp in a few days, an upgrade from
Win98. Do the files I have on my HD get erased with a new OS? By
files, I mean documents, programs, things that are irrelevant to the
old OS.

thanks

Drifter

On 20 Feb 2004 15:24:46 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (transient
individual) wrote:

>I'm planning on installing Win Xp in a few days, an upgrade from
>Win98. Do the files I have on my HD get erased with a new OS? By
>files, I mean documents, programs, things that are irrelevant to the
>old OS.
>
>thanks

They aren't supposed to, but it would be a good idea to backup your
files somewhere in case the install fails and you are forced to
re-format your drive.

Drifter
"I've been here, I've been there..."

Wizard

Unless you have a rather up to date system with at least 256 MB of Ram
you should not upgrade. Upgrades tend to be problematic anyway.