Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > msie/msn/oex conflicts problems need help to fix long story

msie/msn/oex conflicts problems need help to fix long story

len gardener

as in the subject line i have bugs/conflicts/cross linked files?
causing problems with:

msie 5/6 don't know which?; oex 6 & msn 6

sys info:

win 98 os2
agent for e/m's and usenet
zone alarm
e-trust
128 meg ram
1 x 10 gig hd partition using partition magic
1x 6 gig slave drive
pentium II 246

i do housekeeping each week:

run scan disk from the dos prompt (at boot up) it won't run defrag
from the dos prompt.

run a full scan disk and defrag from windows as well as run system
file checker.

first in short some time ago i downloaded oex6 and a beta version of
msie6 from the ms web site, immediately i had problems that i can't
now recal but my isp advised i un-instal msie6. i needed to find out
from users of aus.computers ng how i could un-instal a program that
didn't come with an un-instal? the outcome i downloaded a full version
of ie6 then un-installed it. as far as i can determine ie6 isn't
un-installing i try reinstallin ie5 and get told i am running a newer
version of ie. i check properties of ie icon in the program folder and
it says that i am running ver' 6.00.2600.0000. the read me file is for
ie6. ms system information file says it is IE5 6.0.2600.0000. now
neither ie5 nor ie6 show in the install/uninstall folder in the
control panel. everytime i get an upgrade notice from ms it asks me to
download ie6 upgrade patch as well as directX patch i keep ignoring
them.

1..

the main problem seems to be between oex6 and msn6 after using oex for
a short time msn will come up with <MSNMSGR gen protection fault in
DIBENG.DLL> and shuts down removing the icon from the task tray.

how can i fix this should i uninstall oex6 and use a previous version
oex is not my default news reader but i do use it for the usenet?

should i install the ie6 patch in the ms upgrade notification?

2..

on occassions msie comes up with a < MSIMN invalid page fault in
MGAPDX64.drv> and shuts down my browser.

how can i fix this?

3..

recently i experienced a <Windows Fatal Exception 06 @0028:00000177>
and my desktop shut down and then came back on.

4..

if i run <regclean> and remove msn, zone alarm & e-trust icons from
the task tray then lit the coputer idle for about an hour it will shut
down properly.

also if i run <regclean> after all online session if finds and fixes
files, what is it finding to fix? how can i check? will this help us
fix the problem?

i am in the bush out in rural i need to try and fix these problems
myself with the kind help of those on this news group, i am hoping a
reformat and clean instal will not be needed as when this occurs i
always manage to lose files and then it takes me 5 hours to find and
reinstall all programs i was running before, granted everything with
windows runs like a charm until windows allows its files to be come
corrupted once again.

my current problems cause shut down problems ie.,. the computer never
shuts down as it should, usually means a reset or when it is next
rebooted it runs scan disk over the 3 hd's. we need to sign out of
messenger before we go off line or messenger continues to try and
connect which stops any new actions we might waant to perform on the
computer, in those cases i use ctrl/alt/delete to end the messenger
task. nearly everytime we shut down we get a window saying that a
program is running (which one we don't know) and need to click end
task for the coputer to continue.

the above problems never occur if we never go online and use those
programs the computer operates and shuts down as normal if we never go
online.

a big tia

len
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Wizard

Reinstall them both and stop dicking with SFC!

len gardener wrote:

> [...]
> messenger before we go off line or messenger continues to try and
> connect which stops any new actions we might waant to perform on the
> computer, in those cases i use ctrl/alt/delete to end the messenger
> task. nearly everytime we shut down we get a window saying that a
> program is running (which one we don't know) and need to click end
> task for the coputer to continue.
>
> the above problems never occur if we never go online and use those
> programs the computer operates and shuts down as normal if we never go
> online.
>
> a big tia
>
> len
> --
> happy gardening
> 'it works for me it could work for you,'
>
> "in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the environment

wizard,

there are 3 programs concerend i have tried to reinstall ie5 but it
tells me i am running a newer version, i have already tried
downloading ie 6 and the patch hoping it would fix some problems it
didn't so i un-installed ie6 through the install/uninstall in my
coputer icon.

so should i try uninstalling msn and oex and then reinstalling them?
then waht should i do about msie 5/6 whatever.

len

snipped