Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > multiple boot

multiple boot

Golf Nut

I installed xp (on 1st partition) first and then windows 2000 (3rd
partition) and now booting xp is giving me an error.
"windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt.
\windows\system32\config\system startup options for windows 2000, press F8.

you can attemtp to repair thsi file by starting windows 2000."

Pressing F8 does nothing and rebooting to windows 2000 works fine.

Looks like installing windows 2000 has over written the boot block.

I was planning to install LINUX on the second parition.

I did the partition using fdisk. One primary and one extended and then two
dirves in the extended.

Should i be installing windows 2000 first and then xp? Is there anyway i can
fix this without reinstalling xp?

Please advise.

thanks

Basket Case

"Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed xp (on 1st partition) first and then windows 2000 (3rd
> partition) and now booting xp is giving me an error.
> "windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt.
> \windows\system32\config\system startup options for windows 2000, press

F8.

> you can attemtp to repair thsi file by starting windows 2000."
>
> Pressing F8 does nothing and rebooting to windows 2000 works fine.
>
> Looks like installing windows 2000 has over written the boot block.
>
> I was planning to install LINUX on the second parition.
>
> I did the partition using fdisk. One primary and one extended and then two
> dirves in the extended.
>
> Should i be installing windows 2000 first and then xp? Is there anyway i

can
> fix this without reinstalling xp?
>
> Please advise.
>

> thanks

Generally, yes, the earlier version of Winduhs should be installed first.
However, go ahead and try installing linux before you nuke the whole thing
and start over. Maybe LiLo will be able to work around your boot problems
*shrug*

Golf Nut

thats what i am doing right now, but i dont think it will fix the xp boot
problem.
Will installing xp after linux work?

"Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> > > Pressing F8 does nothing and rebooting to windows 2000 works fine.
> > >
> > > Looks like installing windows 2000 has over written the boot block.
> > >
> > > I was planning to install LINUX on the second parition.
> > >
> > > I did the partition using fdisk. One primary and one extended and then

> two
> > > dirves in the extended.
> > >
> > > Should i be installing windows 2000 first and then xp? Is there anyway

> > can
> > > fix this without reinstalling xp?
> > >
> > > Please advise.
> > >

> > > thanks
> > >

> > Generally, yes, the earlier version of Winduhs should be installed

first.
> > However, go ahead and try installing linux before you nuke the whole

thing
> > and start over. Maybe LiLo will be able to work around your boot

No, install linux last. With Linux, it is always best to have LiLo or Grub
on the MBR, and not the Windows loader.

And please don't top post ... it makes it hard for others to read =)

Golf Nut

"Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > thats what i am doing right now, but i dont think it will fix the xp

boot
> > problem.
> > Will installing xp after linux work?
> >
> > "Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

or

> press
> > > F8.

then
> > two

anyway
> > > can

> > > Generally, yes, the earlier version of Winduhs should be installed

> first.
> > > However, go ahead and try installing linux before you nuke the whole

> thing
> > > and start over. Maybe LiLo will be able to work around your boot

> problems
> > > *shrug*
> > >

> No, install linux last. With Linux, it is always best to have LiLo or

Grub
> on the MBR, and not the Windows loader.
>
> And please don't top post ... it makes it hard for others to read =)

Sorry about that.

Also should linux be on the last partition. I mean should there be no
xp/windows boot partition or no boot partition after the linux partition or
does it not make a difference.

thanks

Mark Mandell

"Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed xp (on 1st partition) first and then windows 2000 (3rd
> partition) and now booting xp is giving me an error.
> "windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt.
> \windows\system32\config\system startup options for windows 2000, press

F8.

> you can attemtp to repair thsi file by starting windows 2000."
>
> Pressing F8 does nothing and rebooting to windows 2000 works fine.
>
> Looks like installing windows 2000 has over written the boot block.
>
> I was planning to install LINUX on the second parition.
>
> I did the partition using fdisk. One primary and one extended and then two
> dirves in the extended.
>
> Should i be installing windows 2000 first and then xp? Is there anyway i

can
> fix this without reinstalling xp?
>
> Please advise.
>

> thanks

Don't know if this would help but with my dual boot setup(Win 98 and XP), I
have installed the 98 before the XP. It would seem that doing a
repair/install of the XP would give you the needed booting files(like
boot.ini). This gives you the choice of which OS to choose from when you
then restart.

Basket Case

"Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > thats what i am doing right now, but i dont think it will fix the xp

> boot
> > > problem.
> > > Will installing xp after linux work?
> > >
> > > "Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

missing
> or

> > press

block.

> then
> > > two

> anyway

> > first.

> > thing

> > problems
> > > >

> > No, install linux last. With Linux, it is always best to have LiLo or

> Grub
> > on the MBR, and not the Windows loader.
> >
> > And please don't top post ... it makes it hard for others to read =)
> >

> Sorry about that.
>
> Also should linux be on the last partition. I mean should there be no
> xp/windows boot partition or no boot partition after the linux partition

or
> does it not make a difference.
>

> thanks

I don't think it matters what order the partitions are in, but what I would
do ... just to keep it simple... First install win2k on the first
partition. Then install winXP on the second partition. After you've got
those two booting correctly, use up the rest of the space for your linux
swap and native partitions. When setting up LiLo, Install it on the MBR and
for your windows options, just have a selection for winXP. Use the winXP
loader to select which windows version you want to use.

I haven't actually tried linux multi-booting with two versions of windows,
but this seems like it would work.

Basket Case

"Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Basket Case" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > boot

(3rd

> missing
> > or

2000,
> > > press

fine.

> block.

and
> > then

> > anyway

> > > first.

whole
> > > thing
> > > problems
> > > > >

> > > No, install linux last. With Linux, it is always best to have LiLo or

> > Grub
> > > on the MBR, and not the Windows loader.
> > >
> > > And please don't top post ... it makes it hard for others to read =)
> > >

> > Sorry about that.
> >
> > Also should linux be on the last partition. I mean should there be no
> > xp/windows boot partition or no boot partition after the linux partition

> or
> > does it not make a difference.
> >

> > thanks
> >

> I don't think it matters what order the partitions are in, but what I

would
> do ... just to keep it simple... First install win2k on the first
> partition. Then install winXP on the second partition. After you've got
> those two booting correctly, use up the rest of the space for your linux
> swap and native partitions. When setting up LiLo, Install it on the MBR

and
> for your windows options, just have a selection for winXP. Use the winXP
> loader to select which windows version you want to use.
>
> I haven't actually tried linux multi-booting with two versions of windows,
> but this seems like it would work.

By the way ... what linux distro are you using?

Golf Nut

rh9
thanks