Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > help needed

help needed

Golf Nut

Hi folks,

I have a Compaq deskpro, Pentium III 256MB RAM. Plenty of hard disk. running
windows XP.
1. Will it help upgrading the memory to 512 or 1024MB.
2. If so, what kind of RAM should I look for?

thanks

Golf Nut

BTW its 547 MHz.
thanks

"Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a Compaq deskpro, Pentium III 256MB RAM. Plenty of hard disk.

running
> windows XP.
> 1. Will it help upgrading the memory to 512 or 1024MB.
> 2. If so, what kind of RAM should I look for?
>
> thanks

Thor

"Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a Compaq deskpro, Pentium III 256MB RAM. Plenty of hard disk.

running
> windows XP.
> 1. Will it help upgrading the memory to 512 or 1024MB.
> 2. If so, what kind of RAM should I look for?

Whether it will be an improvement depends on what you use it for. If it's
just an internet and word processing box, then you won't likely see much
difference. If you do more demanding things like play some games, photo
processing/printing/retouching, then it might help to go to 512MB, but it
still may not be a radical difference in performance. As for where to
purchase it, I suggest www.crucial.com . Look up your model in their
database, and they will match the memory to your machine.

Rob-J

Adding memory will help a bit. But it will be only a bit, this is a pretty
slow machine to be runing XP.

Trent©

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 13:18:27 -0500, "Golf Nut" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I have a Compaq deskpro, Pentium III 256MB RAM. Plenty of hard disk. running
>windows XP.
>1. Will it help upgrading the memory to 512 or 1024MB.

Will it help WHAT? Are you having a problem?

256 is probably borderline for that os. 512 might be better.

>2. If so, what kind of RAM should I look for?

Same kind that you have.

Have a nice week...

Trent