Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > my PC is bigger than yours

my PC is bigger than yours

fruitbat

I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive 80GB
hard disc.
I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
2.6MHz processor."

Now my question is this.
How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
80GB?
Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?

The adjectives are confusing me.

Vince Slevin

not mhz its ghz. 2.6 mhz wouldnt even work
"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:403173ef$0$22524$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
> The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive 80GB
> hard disc.
> I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
> 2.6MHz processor."
>
> Now my question is this.
> How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
> Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
> 80GB?
> Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?
>
> The adjectives are confusing me.

DeMoN LaG

"Vince Slevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:QHeYb.338765$na.499810
@attbi_s04:

> not mhz its ghz. 2.6 mhz wouldnt even work

Not true. There are a number of processors that worked around 2.6 mhz

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

HF

The one 17" has those bigger inches and the other has small eight
inches.Same with the hard disks. There are GIANT GB's and small GB's.Have
you heard about new OS that will make tea and coffee
"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:403173ef$0$22524$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
> The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive 80GB
> hard disc.
> I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
> 2.6MHz processor."
>
> Now my question is this.
> How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
> Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
> 80GB?
> Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?
>
> The adjectives are confusing me.

---

Chris

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:403173ef$0$22524$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
> The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive 80GB
> hard disc.
> I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
> 2.6MHz processor."
>
> Now my question is this.
> How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
> Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
> 80GB?
> Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?
>
> The adjectives are confusing me.

They're designed to confuse you. The average, uninformed consumer will walk
into a shop, after seeing signs or advertisements offering "HUGE!!
SPECTACULAR!!" savings, and not even think about what they're getting. An
80 GB HDD is "huge" compared to my current 12 gig'er. When I upgrade my
desktop, I'm building my own.

Understand, however, that it's not a form of advertisement you can avoid.
Every company uses deception in advertising. Their goal is to get you in
the door, so their savvy salespeople can talk you into something. The
alternative is the "anti-gimmick", which is, yep you guessed it, also a
gimmick. There is no profitable company out there in the mainstream that
doesn't employ marketing analysts of some kind, and who wouldn't sell you
something you don't need. It's called business for a reason.

The best way to avoid the confusing terms is to go in the door already
knowing what it is that you are after. Shop around, do research, and jot
down what it is that you need. When going into the store, get out your
list, and tell the salesperson that's what you're after. If shown a system,
insist on seeing the specs list yourself. If they match up, you're in the
green. This is an effective strategy, whether buying a computer, or a
missile defense system. The informed consumer is the wise consumer.

(And don't let the salesperson write on your list! If possible, use an odd
color of pen just in case.)

Beachcomber

>> Now my question is this.
>> How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
>> Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
>> 80GB?
>> Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?

There is the old story of the Fairchild Engineer who was responsible
for writing up a description of components in the company's sales
catalog.

One product, a "buffer amplifier" had dramatically increased in speed,
so a subsequent revision of the data sheet listed the product as a
"Fast Buffer Amplifier".

The next year, the speed of the product had increased further still,
so our engineer published the next description as "Damn Fast Buffer
Amplifiers".

Beachcomber

mark mandel

news:QkpYb.224275$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:403173ef$0$22524$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> > I have an ad for a computer in front of me.
> > The ad mentions that the PC includes a huge 17" screen and a massive

80GB
> > hard disc.
> > I have also seen ads for "a wopping 256Mb RAM" and for "lightning fast
> > 2.6MHz processor."
> >
> > Now my question is this.
> > How does a small 17" screen differ from a large 17" screen?
> > Is a moderate 80GB hard disc to be scoffed at in preference to a massive
> > 80GB?
> > Is a slow 2.6 Mhz processor far inferior to a fast 2.6MHz processor ?
> >
> > The adjectives are confusing me.

> They're designed to confuse you. The average, uninformed consumer will

walk
> into a shop, after seeing signs or advertisements offering "HUGE!!
> SPECTACULAR!!" savings, and not even think about what they're getting. An
> 80 GB HDD is "huge" compared to my current 12 gig'er. When I upgrade my
> desktop, I'm building my own.
>
> Understand, however, that it's not a form of advertisement you can avoid.
> Every company uses deception in advertising. Their goal is to get you in
> the door, so their savvy salespeople can talk you into something. The
> alternative is the "anti-gimmick", which is, yep you guessed it, also a
> gimmick. There is no profitable company out there in the mainstream that
> doesn't employ marketing analysts of some kind, and who wouldn't sell you
> something you don't need. It's called business for a reason.
>
> The best way to avoid the confusing terms is to go in the door already
> knowing what it is that you are after. Shop around, do research, and jot
> down what it is that you need. When going into the store, get out your
> list, and tell the salesperson that's what you're after. If shown a

system,
> insist on seeing the specs list yourself. If they match up, you're in the
> green. This is an effective strategy, whether buying a computer, or a
> missile defense system. The informed consumer is the wise consumer.
>
> (And don't let the salesperson write on your list! If possible, use an

odd
> color of pen just in case.)

This is a good point because unless you go to a store like Fry's(as I have
on many occasions)you're gonna wind up getting junk at what YOU think is a
great price only to have it break down shortly thereafter(my own
experience). But when I educated myself sufficiently I could go back and
get components that I know to be more reliable. Of course, I've wound up
getting such components(mobo, cpu)elsewhere because they were also cheaper.

Mark Mandell

LPV

news:QkpYb.224275$(E-Mail Removed) om...

(snipped)

>The informed consumer is the wise consumer.

Ta-da! There it is in one succinct statement. I couldn't agree more.

It's been my experience that most salespeople will stop the "fluffing" when
they know I've done my homework (research = informed, as Chris stated). If
they don't, I just move on down the line (to another store, that is).

Loren

George

Also, microprocessors from Motorola and Zilog would typically run down to
almost DC (I've tested them at around 10kHz-100kHz on in-circuit testers).
Intel microprocessors won't run that slow however. (I don't know what their
limit is.)

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Vince Slevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:QHeYb.338765$na.499810
> @attbi_s04:
>
> > not mhz its ghz. 2.6 mhz wouldnt even work
> >

> Not true. There are a number of processors that worked around 2.6 mhz
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

Chris

"LPV" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >The informed consumer is the wise consumer.
> >

> Ta-da! There it is in one succinct statement. I couldn't agree more.
>
> It's been my experience that most salespeople will stop the "fluffing"

when
> they know I've done my homework (research = informed, as Chris stated).

If
> they don't, I just move on down the line (to another store, that is).

Yep, excellent advice, no matter what your purchase.

I find many people tend to forget themselves when faced with "propaganda"
about how incredibly valuable the salespeople claim their product is.