Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Thinkpad T20 Supervisor Password

Thinkpad T20 Supervisor Password

Jim Watt

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:41:46 GMT, "JHEM"
<James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:

>Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote:
>>
>> So you say; I sell thinkpads, I also repair them and remain
>> unconvinced..

>Ted is correct in principal, but flawed in one important detail.
>
>The SPW isn't stored in CMOS, it's written to an EEPROM on the MB.
>
>Joe's fix from down under works.
>
>No, there's no way that a SPW just magically appears as the result of
>removing the CMOS (RTC) battery, and I've fixed more Thinkpads that you and
>Ted combined!

Are you authorised by IBM to do that?

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

AstraVanMan

> >No, there's no way that a SPW just magically appears as the result of
> >removing the CMOS (RTC) battery, and I've fixed more Thinkpads that you

and
> >Ted combined!

> Are you authorised by IBM to do that?

Why does that matter? Surely the only authorisation he needs is that of the
owner of the laptop?

Or am I missing something?

Peter

Jim Watt

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:22:45 -0000, "AstraVanMan"
<****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >No, there's no way that a SPW just magically appears as the result of
>> >removing the CMOS (RTC) battery, and I've fixed more Thinkpads that you

>and
>> >Ted combined!

>> Are you authorised by IBM to do that?

>Why does that matter? Surely the only authorisation he needs is that of the
>owner of the laptop?
>
>Or am I missing something?

An answer to the question? As the person in question is claiming to
have 'fixed lots of thinkpads', its reasonable to inquire on what
basis.
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

JHEM

Jim Watt <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote:

> Are you authorised by IBM to do that?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question Jim. IBM authorized to do what?

I'm an IBM certified repair tech, but I don't work for them.

Regards,

James

pageo

"Ian S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<f8yXb.40844$QJ3.3877@fed1read04>...
> "AstraVanMan" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UxuXb.5721$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
> > looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry

> > the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
> > battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

> I purchased a refurbished t22 last July and wonder if the same thing might
> eventually happen to mine. I wonder if I could prevent that problem from
> arising if I went ahead and set my own supervisor password. Anyone know the
> answer?

Page 27 of the maintenance manual describes changing the SVP
(supervisor password).

I am waiting for delivery of a used T22 I just purchased...this thread
isn't helping me sleep well.

ed_lupine@yahoo.com

On 23 Feb 2004 00:46:46 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(pageo) wrote:

>"Ian S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<f8yXb.40844$QJ3.3877@fed1read04>...
>> "AstraVanMan" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:UxuXb.5721$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
>> > looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry

>> > the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
>> > battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

>> I purchased a refurbished t22 last July and wonder if the same thing might
>> eventually happen to mine. I wonder if I could prevent that problem from
>> arising if I went ahead and set my own supervisor password. Anyone know the
>> answer?

>Page 27 of the maintenance manual describes changing the SVP
>(supervisor password).
>
>I am waiting for delivery of a used T22 I just purchased...this thread
>isn't helping me sleep well.

The first thing you want to do is disable the supervisor password.
If you really want/need extra protection, use a hard drive password.

AstraVanMan

> The first thing you want to do is disable the supervisor password.
> If you really want/need extra protection, use a hard drive password.

Or if it is still there, can't be changed, but isn't currently active, then
try and find it out - either by way of getting the laptop replaced, or by
getting someone to retrieve it for you.

Peter

pageo

(E-Mail Removed) (pageo) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> "Ian S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<f8yXb.40844$QJ3.3877@fed1read04>...
> > "AstraVanMan" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:UxuXb.5721$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > > It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
> > > looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry

> > > the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
> > > battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

> > I purchased a refurbished t22 last July and wonder if the same thing might
> > eventually happen to mine. I wonder if I could prevent that problem from
> > arising if I went ahead and set my own supervisor password. Anyone know the
> > answer?

> Page 27 of the maintenance manual describes changing the SVP
> (supervisor password).
>
> I am waiting for delivery of a used T22 I just purchased...this thread
> isn't helping me sleep well.

Ian made an excellent point offline; a lost Supervisor password (SVP)
makes a used TP essentially DOA, invalidates the sale, and reputable
sellers will refund or replace it.

Determining if a SVP has been set appears to be explained on Page 27
(page 33 of the PDF) of the maintenance manual (item B-1 below):

How to remove the power-on password
To remove a POP that you have forgotten, do the
following:
(A) If no SVP has been set:
1. Turn off the computer.
2. Remove the battery pack.
For how to remove the battery pack, see "1010 Battery
pack" on page 60.
3. Remove the backup battery.
For how to remove the backup battery, see "1020
Backup battery" on page 61.
4. Turn on the computer and wait until the POST ends.
After the POST ends, the password prompt does not
appear. The POP has been removed.
5. Reinstall the backup battery and the battery pack.

(B) If an SVP has been set and is known by the servicer:
1. Turn on the computer by pressing and holding F1.
2. Enter the SVP. The IBM BIOS Setup Utility menu
appears.
3. Select Password, using the cursor keys to move down
the menu.
4. Select Power-On Password.
5. At the Enter Current Password field, enter the SVP.
6. When the Enter New Password field opens, leave it
blank and press Enter twice.
7. In the Changes have been saved window, press Enter.
8. Press F10; then, in the Setup confirmation window,
select Yes

Setting the SVP is a menu option on the BIOS Setup Utility. The
following is from the online User Guide:

To start IBM BIOS Setup Utility, do as follows:

To protect yourself against accidental loss of data, back up your
computer registry.
Remove any diskette from the diskette drive, and then turn off the
computer.
Turn on the computer; then, while the "Press F1 for IBM BIOS Setup
Utility" message is displayed at the lower-left of the screen, press
F1.