Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Radio interference

Radio interference

LEO THOMPSON

Hi, Group:

The screeching my HP Pavilion causes on some AM radio stations and on some
TV channels is unbelievable. I've tried plugging into different circuits -
even the electric range.
I took a battery operated radio outside, onto the patio in the back yard,
and still got the interference. Maybe I'm messing up radio reception for
everyone in the neighborhood. Does anybody have an idea about this major
problem?
T I A,
Leo

Stephen Tomchuk

While it is entirely possible, before you shoot the computer, you have
confirmed it is the culprit by turning it off, right? If so and it is
confirmed then there are some other possibilities;
- try moving it elsewhere, sometimes this is not practical
- try determining if it is a specific component other than the
motherboard

I am very surprised that it still causes a problem outside on the patio. Are
you near the power entrance mast? If so move away and the noise should
disappear.

I have investitaged a few complaints of interference to AM reception and found
that in MOST cases the cause is elsewhere. Unfortunately you might not be a
part of the MOST group, but it is worth trying.

Have you asked the neighbors about interference? If they are experiencing it
also I would more likely suspect powerline based causes such as a bad
suppressor or damaged transformer on a nearby pole (presuming it is above
ground). It is highly doubtful your computer interference would broadcast that
far unless you were very close to your neighbors, as in an apartment block.

Hope this helps,

Steve

LEO THOMPSON wrote:

> Hi, Group:
>
> The screeching my HP Pavilion causes on some AM radio stations and on some
> TV channels is unbelievable. I've tried plugging into different circuits -
> even the electric range.
> I took a battery operated radio outside, onto the patio in the back yard,
> and still got the interference. Maybe I'm messing up radio reception for
> everyone in the neighborhood. Does anybody have an idea about this major
> problem?
> T I A,
> Leo

Jerry G.

Some computers can radiate up to a few hundred feet, even with all the
shielding. The switching driver of the power supply is most likely working
close to a harmonic to the AM radio band, or the IF amplifier frequency that
is used in most AM radio receivers.

In a PC machine there are many clocking circuits that can radiate to near by
radio receivers. Some computers will radiate a bit more than others,
depending on the particular design. For the most part, they may radiate up
to a few hundred feet or so.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"LEO THOMPSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z%cXb.21152$(E-Mail Removed). ..
Hi, Group:

The screeching my HP Pavilion causes on some AM radio stations and on some
TV channels is unbelievable. I've tried plugging into different circuits -
even the electric range.
I took a battery operated radio outside, onto the patio in the back yard,
and still got the interference. Maybe I'm messing up radio reception for
everyone in the neighborhood. Does anybody have an idea about this major
problem?
T I A,
Leo

Wizard

I once had an APC Uninteruptable Power Supply do this but only on AM
86.3 (My asshole neighbors' favorite channel) and got on to this when
the power company came knocking at my door. They had already replaced a
transformer on the pole between our houses and the neighbor was driving
them crazy. I finally replaced the unit with an identical new one and it
stopped. Go figure ....
Perhaps this is your culprit.

LEO THOMPSON wrote:

> Hi, Group:
>
> The screeching my HP Pavilion causes on some AM radio stations and on some
> TV channels is unbelievable. I've tried plugging into different circuits -
> even the electric range.
> I took a battery operated radio outside, onto the patio in the back yard,
> and still got the interference. Maybe I'm messing up radio reception for
> everyone in the neighborhood. Does anybody have an idea about this major
> problem?
> T I A,
> Leo

Trent©

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:22:06 -0500, "LEO THOMPSON"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, Group:
>
>The screeching my HP Pavilion causes on some AM radio stations and on some
>TV channels is unbelievable. I've tried plugging into different circuits -
>even the electric range.
>I took a battery operated radio outside, onto the patio in the back yard,
>and still got the interference. Maybe I'm messing up radio reception for
>everyone in the neighborhood. Does anybody have an idea about this major
>problem?
>T I A,
>Leo

If you have a friendly neighbor, run an extension cord over to his
house and plug the machine in with that. Then see if you get the same
interference.

The problem may be partially...or mostly...due to your house wiring.

Have a nice week...

Trent

LEO THOMPSON

Thanks, Wizard, I'll check it out.
Rergards,
Leo
"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I once had an APC Uninteruptable Power Supply do this but only on AM
> 86.3 (My asshole neighbors' favorite channel) and got on to this when
> the power company came knocking at my door. They had already replaced a
> transformer on the pole between our houses and the neighbor was driving
> them crazy. I finally replaced the unit with an identical new one and it
> stopped. Go figure ....
> Perhaps this is your culprit.
>
> LEO THOMPSON wrote:
> >
> > Hi, Group:
> >
> > The screeching my HP Pavilion causes on some AM radio stations and on

some
> > TV channels is unbelievable. I've tried plugging into different

circuits -
> > even the electric range.
> > I took a battery operated radio outside, onto the patio in the back

yard,
> > and still got the interference. Maybe I'm messing up radio reception for
> > everyone in the neighborhood. Does anybody have an idea about this major
> > problem?
> > T I A,
> > Leo

LEO THOMPSON