Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB 1.1 to 2.0 card for Sony desktop

USB 1.1 to 2.0 card for Sony desktop

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

I have 2 RX series desktops with front USB 1.1 inputs and I would like
to replace the 1.1s with 2.0 inputs so I can still use the front
inputs but with the higher transfer rate. My newest Sony has 2.0
front inputs. Is this possible and where do I buy the replacement
inputs?

Trent©

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:45:53 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have 2 RX series desktops with front USB 1.1 inputs and I would like
>to replace the 1.1s with 2.0 inputs so I can still use the front
>inputs but with the higher transfer rate. My newest Sony has 2.0
>front inputs. Is this possible

Sure.

>and where do I buy the replacement
>inputs?

Almost any retail computer store. Or...

www.pricewatch.com

Have a nice week...

Trent

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:27:33 -0500, Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:45:53 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I have 2 RX series desktops with front USB 1.1 inputs and I would like
>>to replace the 1.1s with 2.0 inputs so I can still use the front
>>inputs but with the higher transfer rate. My newest Sony has 2.0
>>front inputs. Is this possible

>Sure.
>
>>and where do I buy the replacement
>>inputs?
>>

>Almost any retail computer store. Or...
>

>www.pricewatch.com
>

>Have a nice week...
>
>Trent
>
>Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

Thanks for the response. I checked that site but did not see
anything. These ports are in the front of the computer. I have not
opened the box to see the exact configuration so I am assuming it is a
proprietary design since I am dealing with a Sony. The ports are
vertically aligned unlike the PCI card configuration and they are
combined with a mini-firewire input...

Trent©

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:45:36 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks for the response. I checked that site but did not see
>anything. These ports are in the front of the computer. I have not
>opened the box to see the exact configuration so I am assuming it is a
>proprietary design since I am dealing with a Sony. The ports are
>vertically aligned unlike the PCI card configuration and they are
>combined with a mini-firewire input...

Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.

Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
anything in the front of the case.

Have a nice week...

Trent

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:37:10 -0500, Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:45:36 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the response. I checked that site but did not see
>>anything. These ports are in the front of the computer. I have not
>>opened the box to see the exact configuration so I am assuming it is a
>>proprietary design since I am dealing with a Sony. The ports are
>>vertically aligned unlike the PCI card configuration and they are
>>combined with a mini-firewire input...

>Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
>the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.
>
>Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
>now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
>anything in the front of the case.
>

>Have a nice week...
>
>Trent
>
>Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

Thanks. I am having a difficult time envisioning this as I read your
message. Maybe once I open the case and look at the physical layout
it will make sense.

Thor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:37:10 -0500, Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:45:36 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> >>Thanks for the response. I checked that site but did not see
> >>anything. These ports are in the front of the computer. I have not
> >>opened the box to see the exact configuration so I am assuming it is a
> >>proprietary design since I am dealing with a Sony. The ports are
> >>vertically aligned unlike the PCI card configuration and they are
> >>combined with a mini-firewire input...

> >Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
> >the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.
> >
> >Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
> >now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
> >anything in the front of the case.
> >

> >Have a nice week...
> >
> >Trent
> >
> >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

> Thanks. I am having a difficult time envisioning this as I read your
> message. Maybe once I open the case and look at the physical layout
> it will make sense.

He is referring to unplugging the factory internal cable that runs from the
motherboard to the front USB connections, and plug the cable into the
internal header of a USB 2.0 controller card with front panel outputs. It's
a possibility, but sometimes it's not so simple. Big brand manufatcurers
sometimes use unusual internal connectors or wiring patterns for the front
USB jacks that don't necessarily match a 3rd party controller card's pinout
pattern, and vice-versa. It might be easier to just buy a USB controller
card that comes with it's own set of jacks pre-mounted in a drive bay cover.
This would provide front USB 2.0 access in addition to the existing factory
USB 1.1 connections already present. IOGear makes one. It has two rear ports
on the card, and 3 front ports pre-mounted in a 3.5" bay bracket. I have one
of these. Damn nice.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:30:14 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:37:10 -0500, Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
>> >the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.
>> >
>> >Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
>> >now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
>> >anything in the front of the case.
>> >

>> >Have a nice week...
>> >
>> >Trent
>> >
>> >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

>> Thanks. I am having a difficult time envisioning this as I read your
>> message. Maybe once I open the case and look at the physical layout
>> it will make sense.

>He is referring to unplugging the factory internal cable that runs from the
>motherboard to the front USB connections, and plug the cable into the
>internal header of a USB 2.0 controller card with front panel outputs. It's
>a possibility, but sometimes it's not so simple. Big brand manufatcurers
>sometimes use unusual internal connectors or wiring patterns for the front
>USB jacks that don't necessarily match a 3rd party controller card's pinout
>pattern, and vice-versa. It might be easier to just buy a USB controller
>card that comes with it's own set of jacks pre-mounted in a drive bay cover.
>This would provide front USB 2.0 access in addition to the existing factory
>USB 1.1 connections already present. IOGear makes one. It has two rear ports
>on the card, and 3 front ports pre-mounted in a 3.5" bay bracket. I have one
>of these. Damn nice.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Trent©

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:30:14 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>He is referring to unplugging the factory internal cable that runs from the
>motherboard to the front USB connections, and plug the cable into the
>internal header of a USB 2.0 controller card with front panel outputs. It's
>a possibility, but sometimes it's not so simple. Big brand manufatcurers
>sometimes use unusual internal connectors or wiring patterns for the front
>USB jacks that don't necessarily match a 3rd party controller card's pinout
>pattern, and vice-versa. It might be easier to just buy a USB controller
>card that comes with it's own set of jacks pre-mounted in a drive bay cover.
>This would provide front USB 2.0 access in addition to the existing factory
>USB 1.1 connections already present. IOGear makes one. It has two rear ports
>on the card, and 3 front ports pre-mounted in a 3.5" bay bracket. I have one
>of these. Damn nice.

Exactly what I had in mind...'cause I've never seen a PCI card with 4
internal ports that didn't also come with the tray.

The ones I use have 4 port on the tray...and 2 in the back.

Thanks for the input, Thor.

Have a nice week...

Trent

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:30:14 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:37:10 -0500, Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> >Simply get a 6-port USB 2.0 PCI card. The card will have 2 ports on
>> >the back...and space on the card for 4 other USB connections.
>> >
>> >Just unplug the front connections from wherever they are connected
>> >now...and plug them into the new card. You don't need to change
>> >anything in the front of the case.
>> >

>> >Have a nice week...
>> >
>> >Trent
>> >
>> >Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!

>> Thanks. I am having a difficult time envisioning this as I read your
>> message. Maybe once I open the case and look at the physical layout
>> it will make sense.

>He is referring to unplugging the factory internal cable that runs from the
>motherboard to the front USB connections, and plug the cable into the
>internal header of a USB 2.0 controller card with front panel outputs. It's
>a possibility, but sometimes it's not so simple. Big brand manufatcurers
>sometimes use unusual internal connectors or wiring patterns for the front
>USB jacks that don't necessarily match a 3rd party controller card's pinout
>pattern, and vice-versa. It might be easier to just buy a USB controller
>card that comes with it's own set of jacks pre-mounted in a drive bay cover.
>This would provide front USB 2.0 access in addition to the existing factory
>USB 1.1 connections already present. IOGear makes one. It has two rear ports
>on the card, and 3 front ports pre-mounted in a 3.5" bay bracket. I have one
>of these. Damn nice.

Thanks fro the info. I went to the site and looked but did not see
what I thought you were describing. I was wondering if you could post
a link or a part description.

Thanks

Thor

http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GUH203C