Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Motherboard issue

Reply
Thread Tools

Motherboard issue

 
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
I've got an Asus A7N266-VM board in front of me here. These are the
machine specs:

Athlon 1.0ghz
256 megs of PC2100 RAM
GeForce4 Ti4200

Upon powering the machine on, it goes through the entire POST, then
immediately enters the BIOS and shows me a message that the system case or
cover is open, and I should check. I will say with 100% certainty, this is
true, as there is no system case or cover. This just started happening
last night after 2 days of perfect operation. I've cleared the CMOS
settings, I've made absolutely certain nothing is shorting out anything on
the bottom or top of the board, I've read the manual cover to cover (and
this is not included in the manual at all), and I don't know what else to
try. I could deal with a warning, but this enters the BIOS setup every
boot. So it boots, enters the BIOS, I exit, it reboots, enters the BIOS,
over and over again. I can't for the life of me understand this, and I've
never seen this error message before.

Any ideas? Thanks!

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Thor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
Check the chassis intrusion switch header on the motherboard. There should
be a set of pins designated for the case intrusion switch wire. If your case
doesn't have one of these security switches, there should be a jumper across
these pins. It may be labeled "CPUcase" or something similar. Make sure the
jumper isn't missing or loose. I've seen this omitted from Asus manuals
before.



..
"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
news:Xns948CA11D9ECE8Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
> I've got an Asus A7N266-VM board in front of me here. These are the
> machine specs:
>
> Athlon 1.0ghz
> 256 megs of PC2100 RAM
> GeForce4 Ti4200
>
> Upon powering the machine on, it goes through the entire POST, then
> immediately enters the BIOS and shows me a message that the system case or
> cover is open, and I should check. I will say with 100% certainty, this

is
> true, as there is no system case or cover. This just started happening
> last night after 2 days of perfect operation. I've cleared the CMOS
> settings, I've made absolutely certain nothing is shorting out anything on
> the bottom or top of the board, I've read the manual cover to cover (and
> this is not included in the manual at all), and I don't know what else to
> try. I could deal with a warning, but this enters the BIOS setup every
> boot. So it boots, enters the BIOS, I exit, it reboots, enters the BIOS,
> over and over again. I can't for the life of me understand this, and I've
> never seen this error message before.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks!
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> email/IM for rates/services



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Trent©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2004
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:51:07 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>I've got an Asus A7N266-VM board in front of me here. These are the
>machine specs:
>
>Athlon 1.0ghz
>256 megs of PC2100 RAM
>GeForce4 Ti4200
>
>Upon powering the machine on, it goes through the entire POST, then
>immediately enters the BIOS and shows me a message that the system case or
>cover is open, and I should check. I will say with 100% certainty, this is
>true, as there is no system case or cover. This just started happening
>last night after 2 days of perfect operation. I've cleared the CMOS
>settings, I've made absolutely certain nothing is shorting out anything on
>the bottom or top of the board, I've read the manual cover to cover (and
>this is not included in the manual at all), and I don't know what else to
>try. I could deal with a warning, but this enters the BIOS setup every
>boot. So it boots, enters the BIOS, I exit, it reboots, enters the BIOS,
>over and over again. I can't for the life of me understand this, and I've
>never seen this error message before.
>
>Any ideas? Thanks!


Adding to Thor's post...

That board should have intrusion alert. Check the BIOS for a
setting...and the opportunity to turn it off.

You didn't flash the BIOS recently, did you?


Have a nice week...

Trent

Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2004
Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> That board should have intrusion alert. Check the BIOS for a
> setting...and the opportunity to turn it off.


It does indeed have an undocumented intrustion alert. On the board there
is a row of pins labeled "chassis", that look like this (x = pin):
x_xx
1234
A jumper is over pins 3 and 4 right now.

This board was working flawlessly yesterday. I've searched high and low in
the BIOS for a way to disable this, but I can not find one. I've even
thought to change the BIOS from stopping at "all buy keyboard" to "None",
but this still comes through.

So yes, it does have an intrusion detection system, but no, it has no
apparent way to turn it off since obviously it isn't working right.

> You didn't flash the BIOS recently, did you?


No, the BIOS is using 1004 I believe, the original version it has been at
since I aquired the board and it had been working OK with.

This surely would be a shame to have to trash this board and replace it
since there is no actual problem with the board itself beyond the inability
for it to get past POST.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2004
DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in news:Xns948CEEEE42926Wobbly@216.168.3.30:

> So yes, it does have an intrusion detection system, but no, it has no
> apparent way to turn it off since obviously it isn't working right.
>


Ok, now I feel like a winner. I got fed up with the board and unplugged it
and let it sit there for about an hour (and I had the battery already
removed), and I went about and went to newegg and decided to just bite the
bullet and order a new board to replace this near fossil. And to go with
it, I got an XP1800+, and from there I decided to get a stylin' new case,
and all in all was coming out about $200 lighter. Of course, then I plug
the board back in and it works fine. Thankfully newegg has a cancel order
button so I went back and cancelled before it's too late.

So now it works fine again. Makes little to no sense to me. But I saved
$200, and that's the important part.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Baer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2004
DeMoN LaG wrote:
>
> DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in news:Xns948CEEEE42926Wobbly@216.168.3.30:
>
> > So yes, it does have an intrusion detection system, but no, it has no
> > apparent way to turn it off since obviously it isn't working right.
> >

>
> Ok, now I feel like a winner. I got fed up with the board and unplugged it
> and let it sit there for about an hour (and I had the battery already
> removed), and I went about and went to newegg and decided to just bite the
> bullet and order a new board to replace this near fossil. And to go with
> it, I got an XP1800+, and from there I decided to get a stylin' new case,
> and all in all was coming out about $200 lighter. Of course, then I plug
> the board back in and it works fine. Thankfully newegg has a cancel order
> button so I went back and cancelled before it's too late.
>
> So now it works fine again. Makes little to no sense to me. But I saved
> $200, and that's the important part.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> email/IM for rates/services


But...now that you canceled the board's replacement, it has again
decided to play the "no case" game?
If so, Murphy has struck yet again...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Trent©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2004
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:14:47 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in news:Xns948CEEEE42926Wobbly@216.168.3.30:
>
>> So yes, it does have an intrusion detection system, but no, it has no
>> apparent way to turn it off since obviously it isn't working right.
>>

>
>Ok, now I feel like a winner. I got fed up with the board and unplugged it
>and let it sit there for about an hour (and I had the battery already
>removed), and I went about and went to newegg and decided to just bite the
>bullet and order a new board to replace this near fossil. And to go with
>it, I got an XP1800+, and from there I decided to get a stylin' new case,
>and all in all was coming out about $200 lighter. Of course, then I plug
>the board back in and it works fine. Thankfully newegg has a cancel order
>button so I went back and cancelled before it's too late.
>
>So now it works fine again. Makes little to no sense to me. But I saved
>$200, and that's the important part.


Its a COMPUTER! What more sense did you EXPECT of it?! lol

Glad you got it, Jim.


Have a nice week...

Trent

Follow Joan Rivers' example --- get pre-embalmed!
 
Reply With Quote
 
DeMoN LaG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-12-2004
Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:402B30EB.29D88D32
@earthlink.net:

> But...now that you canceled the board's replacement, it has again
> decided to play the "no case" game?
> If so, Murphy has struck yet again...


Nope, it works fine, I'm writing this message on it right now in fact

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to get motherboard 1394 cable? (FIC P4-865PE motherboard) sub NZ Computing 9 06-26-2006 05:37 AM
Motherboard - Video Card Issue Lee Davison Computer Support 1 10-05-2005 08:20 PM
Re: odd motherboard issue hootnholler A+ Certification 0 12-19-2003 06:34 AM
Motherboard / Power SUpply Issue John Computer Support 4 07-24-2003 09:03 PM
Motherboard Issue Primster Computer Support 4 07-08-2003 04:44 PM



Advertisments