Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Destination Unreachable when trying SMTP from behind a PIX 501

Destination Unreachable when trying SMTP from behind a PIX 501

MyndPhlyp

"Rik Bain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) inz.org...
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:17:08 -0600, MyndPhlyp wrote:

<... megasnip ...>

Rik:

I believe I figured it out, after a hair pulling session with Earthlink's
(for lack of a better description) technical support. EL blocks outbound
SMTP for everything that is not directed towards their mail servers. Simple
enough. The bottom line is that an Earthlink user must use the Earthlink
mail servers for outbound mail. Inbound (POP3) can be from anywhere, but
outbound must stay with the ISP.

That frosts my onions!

KR

MyndPhlyp wrote:
> "Rik Bain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) inz.org...
>
>>>Internet Control Message Protocol
>>> Type: 3 (Destination unreachable)
>>> Code: 13 (Communication administratively filtered) Checksum: 0x62df
>>> (correct)

>>there is something blocking the traffic upstream.

> Yeppers. But the question is, "why?"

Just an idea...

If you telnet to port 25 on this particular host, do you get a
connection? My guess is "no". I had a similar problem with a mail server
once. It seemed that Most people could send mail to this host, but I
could not. At least not from behind a firewall (FW-1 in that particular
case).

Turned out that the firewall guys on the other end were blocking
connections that didn't originate from port 25. NAT'ed and PAT'ed
connections usually get the source port remapped to a (random) high
port, and as a result, I couldn't connect. But I could connect from any
host that was not behind a NAT/PAT firewall.

MyndPhlyp

"KR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> MyndPhlyp wrote:
> > "Rik Bain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed) inz.org...

> >>there is something blocking the traffic upstream.

> > Yeppers. But the question is, "why?"
> >

> Just an idea...
>
> If you telnet to port 25 on this particular host, do you get a
> connection? My guess is "no". I had a similar problem with a mail server
> once. It seemed that Most people could send mail to this host, but I
> could not. At least not from behind a firewall (FW-1 in that particular
> case).
>
> Turned out that the firewall guys on the other end were blocking
> connections that didn't originate from port 25. NAT'ed and PAT'ed
> connections usually get the source port remapped to a (random) high
> port, and as a result, I couldn't connect. But I could connect from any
> host that was not behind a NAT/PAT firewall.

That sounds like it might be my situation. Is there a way to configure the
PIX 501 to not NAT/PAT an outbound SMTP?