Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Magnetic Card Reader help

Magnetic Card Reader help

rootx11

I just bought 2 magnetic card readers. I got them from the site
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...367&type=store

The models which I purchased are the MCR-7 and the MCR-10.

I have a few questions.

First, is there any documentation out there on how magnetic card
readers work? Any kind of documentation would be helpful, preferably
on the way data is encoded on to the card itself, what kind of ASCII
characters are read off of the card, and the like.

Second, is there any existing software out there? These hook up to a
RJ-11 jack (stnadard modem) If there is no existing software, or no
one knows of any, I will be running on Unix (FreeBSD to be specific)
and am going to read() off of the modem serial device file itself.
Does anyone have any experience in that, or could give me a heads up?
Anything would be appreciated.

Please reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or (E-Mail Removed)

Thanks a lot

- Farhan

Mad Jesuit

"rootx11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I just bought 2 magnetic card readers. I got them from the site
> http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...367&type=store
>
> The models which I purchased are the MCR-7 and the MCR-10.
>
> I have a few questions.
>
> First, is there any documentation out there on how magnetic card
> readers work? Any kind of documentation would be helpful, preferably
> on the way data is encoded on to the card itself, what kind of ASCII
> characters are read off of the card, and the like.
>
> Second, is there any existing software out there? These hook up to a
> RJ-11 jack (stnadard modem) If there is no existing software, or no
> one knows of any, I will be running on Unix (FreeBSD to be specific)
> and am going to read() off of the modem serial device file itself.
> Does anyone have any experience in that, or could give me a heads up?
> Anything would be appreciated.
>
> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed) or (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Thanks a lot

Question 1: Which manufacturer?

Question 2: Which format(s) do they support?

You will probably be better off looking for the manufacturer's
documentation.
That will tell you what you need to know about what the readers support and
how to hook them up. Should also help point you in the right direction
toward
finding software.

---The Mad Jesuit

Dave Stanton

> First, is there any documentation out there on how magnetic card readers
>

> Second, is there any existing software out there? These hook up to a
> RJ-11 jack (stnadard modem) If there is no existing software, or no one
> knows of any, I will be running on Unix (FreeBSD to be specific) and am
>

> Please reply to (E-Mail Removed) or (E-Mail Removed)

No, post here, read here !!

> Thanks a lot
>
> - Farhan

Yes there is stuff out there, tons in fact. Something called Google finds
lots.

Dave

Keith Lehman

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Mad Jesuit wrote:

> "rootx11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I just bought 2 magnetic card readers. I got them from the site
> > The models which I purchased are the MCR-7 and the MCR-10.
> >

> You will probably be better off looking for the manufacturer's
> documentation.

Most readers can be attached to a standard terminal program.

-Keith Lehman

TheWanderer

Why would ANYONE buy something before they know anything about it?

Need any ocean front property in Arizona??

rte@confused.ogre.org.com

>> "rootx11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> I just bought 2 magnetic card readers. I got them from the
>> site
>> http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin

category.cgi?category=367&type=store

TheWanderer wrote:

> Why would ANYONE buy something before they know anything about
> it?
>
> Need any ocean front property in Arizona??

Google... for a cheaper deal on the Brooklyn Bridge.

HTH :>)
--
Das Leben, es ist unbestimmt. Isst erst den Nachtisch!