Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Running scandisk and defrag

Running scandisk and defrag

Cammie

I have always ran scandisk followed by disk defragmenter about every other
month to check for errors and to resort used space on my hard drive.

Is this a good thing I have been doing, or not necessary. Sometimes it
makes my computer run and start up faster. Just curious.

Cammie

Plato

Cammie wrote:

> I have always ran scandisk followed by disk defragmenter about every other
> month to check for errors and to resort used space on my hard drive.
>
> Is this a good thing I have been doing, or not necessary. Sometimes it
> makes my computer run and start up faster. Just curious.

Actually it's a nice strategy.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

colin

Cammie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UiyVb.14618$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have always ran scandisk followed by disk defragmenter about every other
> month to check for errors and to resort used space on my hard drive.
>
> Is this a good thing I have been doing, or not necessary. Sometimes it
> makes my computer run and start up faster. Just curious.
>
> Cammie

That`s a very good routine to have; but additionally clear out any unwanted
files such as internet cache and temp files that accumulate, prior to
scandisk and defragging; and also keep a regular backup image of your entire
system drive.

Cammie

"colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c079bc$13k15h$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Cammie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:UiyVb.14618$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have always ran scandisk followed by disk defragmenter about every

other
> > month to check for errors and to resort used space on my hard drive.
> >
> > Is this a good thing I have been doing, or not necessary. Sometimes it
> > makes my computer run and start up faster. Just curious.
> >
> > Cammie
> >

> That`s a very good routine to have; but additionally clear out any

unwanted
> files such as internet cache and temp files that accumulate, prior to
> scandisk and defragging; and also keep a regular backup image of your

entire
> system drive.

Every day I clean the cache and temp files. I have a program that came with
my Dell canned Snapshot, takes a picture of your hard drive, if you have any
problems or lose a file, you can restore your computer to the last snapshot
you took or even restore it to factory.