Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > weird things happening

weird things happening

Cammie

Occasionally something weird will happen to my computer. One time I turned
it on and all of a sudden it said my printer was gone and wanted to
reinstall the new hardware for the printer that it detected.

Another time I was missing a system file and it had to restore an older one.

I have the most updated McAfee Virus, I have a Spyware program that checks
for things added by outside internet sources, my computer comes up clean.

Any reason for these mystery things happening? It is very occasional, and
the night before this happens I am just checking email and surfing like
always, nothing out of the ordinary.

I have Windows 98, a Dell Dimension L466c computer.

Cammie

olfart

"Cammie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UO9Vb.14998$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Occasionally something weird will happen to my computer. One time I

turned
> it on and all of a sudden it said my printer was gone and wanted to
> reinstall the new hardware for the printer that it detected.
>
> Another time I was missing a system file and it had to restore an older

one.

> I have the most updated McAfee Virus, I have a Spyware program that checks
> for things added by outside internet sources, my computer comes up clean.
>
> Any reason for these mystery things happening? It is very occasional, and
> the night before this happens I am just checking email and surfing like
> always, nothing out of the ordinary.
>
> I have Windows 98, a Dell Dimension L466c computer.
>
> Cammie

You're probably running Weirdo98

Cammie

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> You're probably running Weirdo98

That what so insightful and funny that I forgot to laugh.

mark mandel

"Cammie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UO9Vb.14998$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Occasionally something weird will happen to my computer. One time I

turned
> it on and all of a sudden it said my printer was gone and wanted to
> reinstall the new hardware for the printer that it detected.
>
> Another time I was missing a system file and it had to restore an older

one.

> I have the most updated McAfee Virus, I have a Spyware program that checks
> for things added by outside internet sources, my computer comes up clean.
>
> Any reason for these mystery things happening? It is very occasional, and
> the night before this happens I am just checking email and surfing like
> always, nothing out of the ordinary.
>
> I have Windows 98, a Dell Dimension L466c computer.
>
> Cammie

The next time this happens go to the Device Manager and click next to the
device(like the printer you mentioned)and see if there's a yellow
exclamation mark next to it. There probably won't be but this could point
to possible driver related issues. And do a system file check(Start to Run,
type in SFC and have it update files or even restore missing or corrupt
ones).

Mark Mandell

-------> Ian

"Cammie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> You're probably running Weirdo98

>That what so insightful and funny that I forgot to laugh.

It was a little funny, it made me laugh a bit. Don't worry though, I
use Weirdo98SE.

Have you run scandisk? One of my pcs went weird once after the
cooling fan got blocked. I think the processor overheated. Got the
blue screen, rebooted and everything seemed fine. Then periodically,
odd things would happen, like all of my messages in my inbox in OE
would be gone. Other odd things with OE. Scandisk appeared to fix
any errors it found, but that system didn't run properly until I
reformatted the HD, and re-installed everything. I reckon the file
system got messed up.

Cammie

"-------> Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote >>> Have you run
scandisk?

Yes, I ran scan disk. I usually try to do scan disk and also defragment my
hard drive every other month to fix any errors resort used and freed up
space. Most of the time the puter is fine, just these occasional strange
things happen that never did before.

Cammie

-------> Ian

"Cammie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"-------> Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote >>> Have you run
>scandisk?
>

>Yes, I ran scan disk. I usually try to do scan disk and also defragment my
>hard drive every other month to fix any errors resort used and freed up
>space. Most of the time the puter is fine, just these occasional strange
>things happen that never did before.
>
>Cammie

Has your system crashed at all recently? I think that is what messed
up my file system. Otherwise, I'm not sure... hardware problem?