Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to track IP on newsgroups postings

How to track IP on newsgroups postings

Ere Walker

Looking for some help from an expert in this area.

I have someone I know (but can't prove yet) that starts a Flame war by
putting someone down and then changes their USER NAME and replies to
their own message in order to bolster support on their attack so it
looks like there and different people attacking the same issue.

It is quite obvious becuse they writing style is the same and the
exact same unique works are spelled incorrectly the same way all the
time.

How can you find the IP of the person who is posting? I don't care
about the identity I just want to prove that all the same messages are
coming from the same person.

In Agent, all the header field says is:

From: G. Nossar <>
Newsgroups: rec.support.divorce
Subject: xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:11:50 -0600

DeMoN LaG

Ere Walker <> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> How can you find the IP of the person who is posting? I don't care
> about the identity I just want to prove that all the same messages are
> coming from the same person.

You can't, as supernews removes any personal information (such as IP
addresses) from the message. However, Supernews does have a policy
reguarding nymshift (repeatedly changing your name for bad purposes).
I'd suggest you email their support department ((E-Mail Removed)) and
explain the issue (include message headers of offending posts), or since
you are also a Supernews customer you could head over to
news:supernews.general and post a question for one of the SN guys who
check that group out (Brandon, Mark, Andrews, Jeremy, Danhiel, any of
them can help).

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Ere Walker

>You can't, as supernews removes any personal information (such as IP
>addresses) from the message. However, Supernews does have a policy
>reguarding nymshift (repeatedly changing your name for bad purposes).
>I'd suggest you email their support department ((E-Mail Removed)) and
>explain the issue (include message headers of offending posts), or since
>you are also a Supernews customer you could head over to
>news:supernews.general and post a question for one of the SN guys who
>check that group out (Brandon, Mark, Andrews, Jeremy, Danhiel, any of
>them can help).

Thanks for your help, I will give that a try.