Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > windows xp

windows xp

Jan

My daughter has received a second hand computer, we have the disk (windows
xp) problem is the computer also has windows 2000 on it what I would like to
do is format the whole thing and start afresh, but I cannot seem to find out
how to format it, if anybody could help I would be most grateful. In the
past I have always had to use a boot disk to format, but this is totally
different.
Thanks
Janet

---

Matthew Lonergan

Janet,

Restart the computer with the XP install disk in the CD-ROM drive. It's
going to lead you through a Wizard that will help you with the installation
and the reformatting of the drive.

When the Wizard looks for other operating systems, it will find Windows
2000. Tell it you want to install a new OS (Clean Install). Later, it will
ask you if you want to use the existing partition, or format. After a
warning or two, it will repave your disk and start from scratch. Remember,
though, EVERYTHING you had will get wiped if you say yes to the format.

Good luck!

Matthew

"Jan" <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c01133$5hm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My daughter has received a second hand computer, we have the disk (windows
> xp) problem is the computer also has windows 2000 on it what I would like

> do is format the whole thing and start afresh, but I cannot seem to find

out
> how to format it, if anybody could help I would be most grateful. In the
> past I have always had to use a boot disk to format, but this is totally
> different.
> Thanks
> Janet
>

> ---

colin

Jan <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c01133$5hm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My daughter has received a second hand computer, we have the disk (windows
> xp) problem is the computer also has windows 2000 on it what I would like

> do is format the whole thing and start afresh, but I cannot seem to find

out
> how to format it, if anybody could help I would be most grateful. In the
> past I have always had to use a boot disk to format, but this is totally
> different.
> Thanks
> Janet
>

> ---

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxpinstl.htm

Jan

Thanks a lot for your speedy reply, just starting it now, if its ok will let
you know how it goes
Janet

"Matthew Lonergan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fRTUb.83695$%(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Janet,
>
> Restart the computer with the XP install disk in the CD-ROM drive. It's
> going to lead you through a Wizard that will help you with the

installation
> and the reformatting of the drive.
>
> When the Wizard looks for other operating systems, it will find Windows
> 2000. Tell it you want to install a new OS (Clean Install). Later, it

will
> ask you if you want to use the existing partition, or format. After a
> warning or two, it will repave your disk and start from scratch.

Remember,
> though, EVERYTHING you had will get wiped if you say yes to the format.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Matthew
>

> "Jan" <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:c01133$5hm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My daughter has received a second hand computer, we have the disk

(windows
> > xp) problem is the computer also has windows 2000 on it what I would

like
> > do is format the whole thing and start afresh, but I cannot seem to find

> out
> > how to format it, if anybody could help I would be most grateful. In

the
> > past I have always had to use a boot disk to format, but this is totally
> > different.
> > Thanks
> > Janet
> >

> > ---

---

Jan

This computer has two partitions on it now which ever partition I chose it
just asks me if I want to format *that* partition not the whole lot!!!!
Help now what?

Janet

"Jan" <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c012h3$6il$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks a lot for your speedy reply, just starting it now, if its ok will

let
> you know how it goes
> Janet
>
> "Matthew Lonergan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fRTUb.83695$%(E-Mail Removed). net...
> > Janet,
> >
> > Restart the computer with the XP install disk in the CD-ROM drive. It's
> > going to lead you through a Wizard that will help you with the

> installation
> > and the reformatting of the drive.
> >
> > When the Wizard looks for other operating systems, it will find Windows
> > 2000. Tell it you want to install a new OS (Clean Install). Later, it

> will
> > ask you if you want to use the existing partition, or format. After a
> > warning or two, it will repave your disk and start from scratch.

> Remember,
> > though, EVERYTHING you had will get wiped if you say yes to the format.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Matthew
> >

> > "Jan" <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:c01133$5hm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > My daughter has received a second hand computer, we have the disk

> (windows
> > > xp) problem is the computer also has windows 2000 on it what I would

> like
> > > do is format the whole thing and start afresh, but I cannot seem to

find
> > out
> > > how to format it, if anybody could help I would be most grateful. In

> the
> > > past I have always had to use a boot disk to format, but this is

totally
> > > different.
> > > Thanks
> > > Janet
> > >

> > > ---
> > >

> ---

---

Matthew Lonergan

Janet,

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxpinstl.htm
is good. Note the picture that says "To delete the selected partition,
press D."
That's the one that will allow you to clear out the partitions and start
over.

Matthew

"colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0126f$11khv7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> Jan <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:c01133$5hm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My daughter has received a second hand computer, we have the disk

(windows
> > xp) problem is the computer also has windows 2000 on it what I would

like
> > do is format the whole thing and start afresh, but I cannot seem to find

> out
> > how to format it, if anybody could help I would be most grateful. In

the
> > past I have always had to use a boot disk to format, but this is totally
> > different.
> > Thanks
> > Janet
> >

> > ---
> >

> http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxpinstl.htm

Jan

Yes I missed the bit about pressing d, thanks a lot it on doing it now,
fingers crossed.

Janet

"Matthew Lonergan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:efUUb.84511$%(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Janet,
>
> http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxpinstl.htm
> is good. Note the picture that says "To delete the selected partition,
> press D."
> That's the one that will allow you to clear out the partitions and start
> over.
>
> Matthew
>
> "colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0126f$11khv7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> >
> > Jan <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:c01133$5hm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > My daughter has received a second hand computer, we have the disk

> (windows
> > > xp) problem is the computer also has windows 2000 on it what I would

> like
> > > do is format the whole thing and start afresh, but I cannot seem to

find
> > out
> > > how to format it, if anybody could help I would be most grateful. In

> the
> > > past I have always had to use a boot disk to format, but this is

totally
> > > different.
> > > Thanks
> > > Janet
> > >

> > > ---
> > >

> > http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxpinstl.htm

---

Jan

Well I have just finished set up. Took the disc out restarted it and got
nothing, I have a blank screen any ideas what I did wrong?

Janet

"Jan" <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c013hs$79g$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes I missed the bit about pressing d, thanks a lot it on doing it now,
> fingers crossed.
>
> Janet
>
> "Matthew Lonergan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:efUUb.84511$%(E-Mail Removed). net...
> > Janet,
> >
> > http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxpinstl.htm
> > is good. Note the picture that says "To delete the selected partition,
> > press D."
> > That's the one that will allow you to clear out the partitions and start
> > over.
> >
> > Matthew
> >
> > "colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c0126f$11khv7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > >
> > > Jan <jojo@no reply.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > news:c01133$5hm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > (windows

> > like

> find
> > > out

In
> > the

> totally

> > > http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxpinstl.htm
> > >

> ---

---

gg pynadnaski

Hace you installed Windows XP yet or just formatted it. Once its done
formatting it reboots and installs Windows. Has that happened yet?
news:c01970$bcf$(E-Mail Removed)...