Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Win98 Boot Problem

Win98 Boot Problem

BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:59:18 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> >definitely
>> >familiar
>> >
>> >Well aside from making it easier to make changes to the BIOS setup

>utility
>> >program without flashing the ROM chip, I never saw the advantages in that
>> >system. Harddrive goes bad or has some corruption, and now you have no

>way
>> >into the BIOS setup, unless you download and create the setup floppies.
>> >Flashing the BIOS itself would still be just as risky, since that part is
>> >still on-chip. What advantages did you see in it?
>> >

>> You just named one advantage yourself.

>Well, I don't think that one advantage is nearly enough to justify the
>system they use, given the downside of having the setup utility on a far
>more failure-prone device, and the additional effort one must go to in order
>to preserve this arrangement when installing a new drive. I think the cons
>outweigh the pros. What I menat was, what *other* possible advantages do
>you see in that system? Do you think it's better than the conventional way
>of having the setup program on-chip?

Give it a rest Thor. No one said it was a vastly superior system. I
think if you read what I wrote, I said it was just a different way of
doing things. Certainly not something to get the least bit excited
about. It gave Compaqs a little bit of flexibility that other
computers lacked. The extra partition was a convenience, but if
anything happened to it, or it wasn't installed, it really didn't mean
squat.

BB