Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > power supply ventilator

power supply ventilator

kwijlebabulus

well i looked in the supplybox
the 2 wires are connected with a plug to the panel

so i guess i can do nothing wrong? or?

tia
kwijl

Oldus Fartus

labatyd wrote:

> "Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>A standard 80mm 12V DC fan is fine. Direct it the same way the old fan

> was
>
>>>blowing. Some power supplies use temperature controlled fans, but a

> standard
>
>>>replacement fan should work just fine.

>>Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
>>capacitors and high voltage???
>>
>>Drifter

> How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he won't
> work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

Most likely not 110v. He mention a cost of 6 so he is obviously in
Europe, where generally voltages are 220v.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Night_Seer

Thor wrote:
> "Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he
>>> won't work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

>> Doesn't matter if it's plugged in if he opens things up and shorts
>> out a capacitor. They can retain a charge for weeks/years.

> Can? yes. Likely to? No. If the supply is operating normally, they
> should discharge themselves when the power is removed. Additionally,
> the larger capacitor contacts are almost always difficult to touch or
> accidentally come into contact with, unless you try and remove the
> entire main circuit board from the supply exposing the underside.
> Something that is difficult to do, and not necessary for putting in a
> new fan. IMHO the risk of shock is minimal.

Stick a paper clip in it!

--
Night_Seer

Thor

unplug the old fan then, cut off the plug with a suitable length of wire
attached, and splice the wires of the replacement into the wires of the plug
payking attention to match polarity/color of the wires. You can use wire
crimpers, or solder them together then (if you are good at wire wrapping)
electrical tape to insulate them. I recommend the crimpers, and then test
the crimp by pulling on the wires a bit to ensure they are firmly attached
at the crimp and make damn sure there are no exposed wires. Route the wire
away from any heatsinks before putting it all back together.

"kwijlebabulus" <"alexander_rickert(remove)"@pandora.be> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> well i looked in the supplybox
> the 2 wires are connected with a plug to the panel
>
> so i guess i can do nothing wrong? or?
>
> tia
> kwijl

Thor

> Stick a paper clip in it!

LOL!!! Whatever happened to that guy?

Night_Seer

Thor wrote:
>> Stick a paper clip in it!

> LOL!!! Whatever happened to that guy?

LOL I was wondering the same thing the other day.

--
Night_Seer

V W Wall

labatyd wrote:

> "Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >A standard 80mm 12V DC fan is fine. Direct it the same way the old fan

> was
> > >blowing. Some power supplies use temperature controlled fans, but a

> standard
> > >replacement fan should work just fine.

> > Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
> > capacitors and high voltage???
> >
> > Drifter

> How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he won't
> work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

The input circuit rectifies the AC voltage and charges two large value
capacitors. In the case of 120 V, the input voltage is effectively doubled.
In either case, the capacitors are charged to about 320 V. These are
shunted by "bleeder resistors" such that they will discharge in a few
seconds. In addition, as Thor mentioned, a normally operating supply
will discharge this voltage rapidly after it's unplugged.

It is hard to get your fingers on the capacitor terminals, but some
heat sinks are at a high voltage. Just wait a couple of minutes before
opening the PS case. Be careful of sharp metal edges, they can really
hurt!

Virg Wall
--

Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

labatyd

"Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvr3vv$mqk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> labatyd wrote:
>
> > "Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > was

> > standard

> >>Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
> >>capacitors and high voltage???
> >>
> >>Drifter

> > How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he

won't
> > work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>
> >

> Most likely not 110v. He mention a cost of 6 so he is obviously in
> Europe, where generally voltages are 220v.

That's true. I would hope he would unplug it first regardless. <g>

> --
> Cheers
> Oldus Fartus

labatyd

"V W Wall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> labatyd wrote:
> >
> > "Drifter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

fan
> > was

> > standard
> > >
> > > Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
> > > capacitors and high voltage???
> > >
> > > Drifter

> > How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he

won't
> > work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

> The input circuit rectifies the AC voltage and charges two large value
> capacitors. In the case of 120 V, the input voltage is effectively

doubled.

Most equipment has a transformer which drops the voltages down to a useable
level. The rectification takes place AFTER the transformer. Computer stuff
doesn't use high voltage. A TV set is different but it draws it's high
voltage from the flyback circuit.. I threw out the last failed PS from my
computer so I can't look inside to see just what's there But I wouldn't
expect to find just what you're describing. They're just not worth the
bother to fix.

> In either case, the capacitors are charged to about 320 V. These are
> shunted by "bleeder resistors" such that they will discharge in a few
> seconds.

If I recall correctly I think there is a standard of 8 seconds. I've never
seen a capacitor keep a charge for weeks or years. But I NEVER touch a HV
one without first shorting the terminals. Or an AC cap from an electric
motor if is it's been running recently. They carry a hell of a wollop.

In addition, as Thor mentioned, a normally operating supply
> will discharge this voltage rapidly after it's unplugged.

Yes.

> It is hard to get your fingers on the capacitor terminals, but some
> heat sinks are at a high voltage. Just wait a couple of minutes before
> opening the PS case. Be careful of sharp metal edges, they can really
> hurt!

As they used to joke in Radio and TV classes 45 years ago. TV's highest
voltages then were in the range of 15 kV. That would smart and sometimes
burn a little hole in the skin. The real damage came from the sharp edges
following the reaction of the shock. You soon develop a little respect for
certain things. <g>

This stuff however is not too scary. You'd have to try hard to hurt
yourself. The manufacturers love those little stickers though. Probably
helps them sell new parts.

> Virg Wall
> --
>
> Any sufficiently advanced technology
> is indistinguishable from magic.
>
> Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

labatyd

Just like Thor says. If you need a different fan there has to be tons of old
ones around. Check with a computer shop or scrap yard. You be surprised what
one will find if you watch those places.