Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can anyone install firewire card?

Can anyone install firewire card?

petergoldberg

I have a Compaq 5340, which is 400 megahertz and Win98. Is it possible to
add firewire card and connection?

Can someone add a firewire to this and can predict windows 98 would be able
to handle it? Will this allow me to see digital video ? I have a min digital
video recorder and can't figure where to utilize it, any suggestions? Will
pay someone to install it if they know what they are doing. Just reply to
this post or email http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) thanks

Night_Seer

petergoldberg wrote:
> I have a Compaq 5340, which is 400 megahertz and Win98. Is it
> possible to add firewire card and connection?
>

> Can someone add a firewire to this and can predict windows 98 would
> be able to handle it? Will this allow me to see digital video ? I
> have a min digital video recorder and can't figure where to utilize
> it, any suggestions? Will pay someone to install it if they know what
> they are doing. Just reply to this post or email (E-Mail Removed)
> thanks

It shouldn't be too hard, as long as all the proper drivers came with
the card, and you have an open PCI slot. Open it up, touch a metal part
of the case before handling the card. remove a back plate on an open
PCI slot. Slip it in there, turn on your computer, and install the
drivers.

--
Night_Seer

Plato

petergoldberg wrote:

> I have a Compaq 5340, which is 400 megahertz and Win98. Is it possible to
> add firewire card and connection?

If you have an empty PCI slot. Many econo brands do NOT.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

petergoldberg

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:401ff26d$0$43827$(E-Mail Removed)...
> petergoldberg wrote:
> >
> > I have a Compaq 5340, which is 400 megahertz and Win98. Is it possible

> > add firewire card and connection?

> If you have an empty PCI slot. Many econo brands do NOT.
>

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Thanks guys, I might have to open it up. The last slot I remembered using
was to for the ethernet card. Would a slot right next to there do? I am
assuming yes. Now I have to see if there is another slot. Thanks again.
Peter

Night_Seer

petergoldberg wrote:
> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> news:401ff26d$0$43827$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> petergoldberg wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a Compaq 5340, which is 400 megahertz and Win98. Is it
>>> possible to add firewire card and connection?

>> If you have an empty PCI slot. Many econo brands do NOT.
>>

>> --
>> http://www.bootdisk.com/

> Thanks guys, I might have to open it up. The last slot I remembered
> using was to for the ethernet card. Would a slot right next to there
> do? I am assuming yes. Now I have to see if there is another slot.
> Thanks again. Peter

It should do...not sure if your system has ISA slots, but those would be
wrong, and it would only have maybe 1 or two of those. The longer slots
are ISA, and the shorter ones should be the ones you want. It should
fit perfectly.

--
Night_Seer