Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Digital camera as a web cam??

Digital camera as a web cam??

Cory Lechner

My wife and I just bought a Sony Cybershot P52 digital camera. Can we use
it as a web cam (using Netmeeting) as well?

Cory

Thor

I have a Cybershot P92 (the 5 megapixel version), and I don't believe you
can do that (at least with the software it comes with). The interface
software only transfers what is already recorded on the memory stick, not a
live feed from the camera. Using it as a webcam would require a live feed.
The only possible workaround would be to use the video output jack on the
camera that is meant for connection to a TV set, to feed live video into the
computer, and use that somehow, but again, you would have to have the
appropriate capture software to do it. It may be easier to just buy a cheap
webcam, which should come with everything you need.

"Cory Lechner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife and I just bought a Sony Cybershot P52 digital camera. Can we use
> it as a web cam (using Netmeeting) as well?
>
> Cory

John

I tried to do it with a Canon Video Camera a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately it has a feature were it turns off the power if you
don't press a button for 5 minutes or so to save on the battery life.
So completely impractical.

John