Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > dial up connection

dial up connection

David

When the PC is booted the 'Dial up Connection' window pops up and the cancel
or close button has to be clicked several times to get rid of it.
It is my friend's PC and he has Window 98 OS and I.E. 6.
How do we prevent this window coming up on its own please?
TIA
David

gg pynadnaski

Start>Run>msconfig> go to the startup tab and uncheck what it appears to be.
Hope this helps.
news:bvmmsr$uaklf$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> When the PC is booted the 'Dial up Connection' window pops up and the

cancel
> or close button has to be clicked several times to get rid of it.
> It is my friend's PC and he has Window 98 OS and I.E. 6.
> How do we prevent this window coming up on its own please?
> TIA
> David

Thor

get rid of the spyware or disable the application that is running in the
background that is initializing the connection. Could be an instant
messaging program, or a P2P file sharing program like Kazaa, or Morpheus,
Ezula, etc. Or, it could be some spyware program causing it. Start by
downloading "Spybot Search and Destroy" and cleanse the system of spyware.

news:bvmmsr$uaklf$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> When the PC is booted the 'Dial up Connection' window pops up and the

cancel
> or close button has to be clicked several times to get rid of it.
> It is my friend's PC and he has Window 98 OS and I.E. 6.
> How do we prevent this window coming up on its own please?
> TIA
> David

bmoag

First check whether Outlook Express is set to check for mail when the
computer boots or at set intervals. Also check MSCONFIG startup to see if
Brasil-an otherwise harmless virus-is present: you have find brasil.pif and
delete it from Windows. Otherwise you may be SOL: I have Win98se machines in
my office that do this and I have checked every spyware hunter program,
virus checker etc and they still do it.

Travis Nowicki

Dear: David

If you have anything trying to connect to the internet at startup, you can
disable it its settings menu.

David wrote:

> When the PC is booted the 'Dial up Connection' window pops up and the cancel
> or close button has to be clicked several times to get rid of it.
> It is my friend's PC and he has Window 98 OS and I.E. 6.
> How do we prevent this window coming up on its own please?
> TIA
> David

Marianne Marianne is offline
Junior Member

It is simple to get rid of this window if you don't want it to keep popping up. When you see the window, click on its "properties" tab. Then you will get another window where you will see the option "Never dial a connection". Put a check next to that. That way, you just click on your ISP's icon on your desk-top whenever you want to sign on and make the connection manually by typing your user-name and password into the ISP's sign-on window. And the Windows "Dial-up Connection" thing won't show up again.