Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Making DVD's from VHS difficult??

Making DVD's from VHS difficult??

FERRANTE

I have a lot of videos that I have kept over the years because of
things on them that I want to keep. Some may be a few minutes long (as
in a particular news broadcast or something like that), others may be
a couple of hours. Is it difficult to make DVD's from those tapes
using the computer? What are the minimum acceptable requirements for
being able to do so, such as hard drive space, DVD burner, stuff like
that? If there one particular program that most consider the best for
this kind of burning/transfer process?

Lastly, is anything (technology) forthcoming in the near future that
will make this task much easier? If so, I would just wait.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark Anthony Ferrante

Thor

"FERRANTE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a lot of videos that I have kept over the years because of
> things on them that I want to keep. Some may be a few minutes long (as
> in a particular news broadcast or something like that), others may be
> a couple of hours. Is it difficult to make DVD's from those tapes
> using the computer? What are the minimum acceptable requirements for
> being able to do so, such as hard drive space, DVD burner, stuff like
> that? If there one particular program that most consider the best for
> this kind of burning/transfer process?

Yes, this can be done. But how easy it is depends on your hardware and
software. You'll want a reasonbly fast machine so encoding can be done
quickly. Lots of RAM, (if using WinXP, I'd say 512MB or more) and I'd make
sure to have at least 20-30GB of free harddrive space. Then you'll need a
DVD burner, and some kind of video capture device. You can use an external
video capture device if you have a high speed USB 2.0 port, otherwise you'll
likely need some kind of internal card solution like a separate capture
card, or a video card that has video capture ability. You'll need some kind
of DVD authoring software to encode the incoming video into a format that
can be recorded onto a DVD. Cyberlink's Power Director is one such program.
Use your sound card's audio input jack to get the sound from your VHS
machine into the computer. You will need the appropriate cabling for all of
these connections.

> Lastly, is anything (technology) forthcoming in the near future that
> will make this task much easier? If so, I would just wait.

There already is a very easy way. Far easier than doing it on a PC or MAC,
IMHO. Just go out and buy a stand-alone DVD recorder. Hook your VHS deck up
to it's inputs and away you go. Prices for stand-alone units have dropped
substantially. I'm seeing them in the mid to high $300 (US) range locally
these days. It may be well worth the price to radically simplify the process
with such unit.