Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Sending a WOL magic packet from IOS?

Sending a WOL magic packet from IOS?

Richard Antony Burton

Can you send a magic packet from IOS? I'd find it really handy to be able to
SSH into a remote router over the net and wake up a machine on its LAN, but
I can't work out how to do it.

Richard.

Walter Roberson

In article <LPfDb.3149353$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard Antony Burton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Can you send a magic packet from IOS? I'd find it really handy to be able to
:SSH into a remote router over the net and wake up a machine on its LAN, but
:I can't work out how to do it.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=...c.umanitoba.ca

isn't exactly what you are looking for but will give you some leads.

I have forgotten the details now, but as I recall, WOL works by
getting a packet on to the right segment, with the packet addressed
to either the MAC address of the destination system or to
ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, and with -somewhere- in the payload of the packet,
the contents ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff followed by a few repetitions of
the MAC address of the destination system. I have forgotten exactly
how many repetitions you need. All the stuff you will see in
programs about setting obscure ethertypes is irrelevant: it can
be ANY kind of packet with the right destination and right contents
at any offset in the payload. It can be a ping packet, if you can
manage to get the right payload contents into it.
--
'ignorandus (Latin): "deserving not to be known"'
-- Journal of Self-Referentialism

Richard Antony Burton

Thanks, I may have to try and write my own as suggested here, will have a
look at this over Christmas holiday.

Richard.

news:brkpf6$n74$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <LPfDb.3149353$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Richard Antony Burton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :Can you send a magic packet from IOS? I'd find it really handy to be able

> :SSH into a remote router over the net and wake up a machine on its LAN,

but
> :I can't work out how to do it.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=...c.umanitoba.ca

Walter Roberson

In article <brkpf6$n74$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Walter Roberson <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote:
|In article <LPfDb.3149353$(E-Mail Removed)>,
|Richard Antony Burton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|:Can you send a magic packet from IOS?

|I have forgotten the details now, but as I recall, WOL works by
|getting a packet on to the right segment, with the packet addressed

In case anyone else happened to be following this:

I have now posted some Perl code to create routable Wake-on-Lan
packets. The created packets -look- fine according to the
specs, but I do not have a WOL system to test with.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=...c.umanitoba.ca
--
"Mathematics? I speak it like a native." -- Spike Milligan