Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Disc Consistancy Check (groan)

Disc Consistancy Check (groan)

Lucy Explainin

I would so love to know why (and how to stop) my xp home box running a 'disc
consistancy check' in the form of an error on startup. Nothing has changed
on the system, the drive is still fully accessible but even allow the check
to take place still brings it back next start up.

Any ideas for an old dog at the end of his leash

derek / nul

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 22:41:06 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would so love to know why (and how to stop) my xp home box running a 'disc
>consistancy check' in the form of an error on startup. Nothing has changed
>on the system, the drive is still fully accessible but even allow the check
>to take place still brings it back next start up.
>
>Any ideas for an old dog at the end of his leash

Convert the disk to NTFS.

start | help | convert

Derek

Lucy Explainin

"derek / nul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
"Convert the disk to NTFS."

It already is

derek / nul

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:37:34 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"derek / nul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>"Convert the disk to NTFS."
>
>It already is

It is likely there is a hardware problem with the disk.

Lucy Explainin

"derek / nul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:37:34 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

" It is likely there is a hardware problem with the disk."

That would be interesting as it's 120gb 2 partitions. C:\ and D:\

Machine boots from c flawlessly and fingers d as a problem.

Thor

news:kU6Tb.545$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...

wrote:

> " It is likely there is a hardware problem with the disk."
>
> That would be interesting as it's 120gb 2 partitions. C:\ and D:\
>
> Machine boots from c flawlessly and fingers d as a problem.

The problem could lie in the area partitioned and formatted as your D:\.
Just because it is a single *physical* drive doesn't mean it has to have
problems on all partitions at once.

Lucy Explainin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>"The problem could lie in the area partitioned and formatted as your D:\.
> Just because it is a single *physical* drive doesn't mean it has to have
> problems on all partitions at once."

Methinks a run of some reasonable disc utility should pick this up. Any
recommendations?

Thor

"Lucy Explainin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YyaTb.638$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...

> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >"The problem could lie in the area partitioned and formatted as your D:\.
> > Just because it is a single *physical* drive doesn't mean it has to have
> > problems on all partitions at once."

> Methinks a run of some reasonable disc utility should pick this up. Any
> recommendations?

First look at this KB article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Also try manually scheduling a full disk check via the tools section of the
harddrive properties. Use the "scan and recover bad sectors" option.

Trent©

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:07:02 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"derek / nul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:37:34 -0000, "Lucy Explainin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>" It is likely there is a hardware problem with the disk."
>
>That would be interesting as it's 120gb 2 partitions. C:\ and D:\
>
>Machine boots from c flawlessly and fingers d as a problem.

Change the driver letters for any cd/dvd drives you might have.

W for writer...R for reader...other letters if necessary near the end
of the alphabet.

Optimize the registry if you haven't done so lately.

Also, if you have Partition Magic, check that partition with it.

Check Event Viewer, too...for clues.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent