Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What's the latest on the BTX case?

What's the latest on the BTX case?

Night_Seer

Thor wrote:
> "RedBack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:32:47 -0500, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
>>
>>> One bit of interesting change I discovered upon further reading on
>>> the BTX standard, is that AGP is slated to be phased out. PCI
>>> Express (a new PCI standard formerly known as 3GIO during
>>> development) will be the new kid on the block for graphics boards.
>>> Although there is nothing in the spec that prohibits using an AGP
>>> slot, PCI Express will evidently be the direction things will be
>>> moving towards when it comes to graphics boards.
>>>

>> I have read the same But as far as I have heard, that AMD has not yet
>> committed itself to PCI Express or the BTX format.

> AMD already voted for adoption of PCI Express as a standard. They
> supported Intel's 3GIO before it was renamed to PCI Express, and then
> they voted to approve the standard along with several other industry
> leaders before it was turned over to the PCI-SIG. AMD's
> Hypertransport was initially thought of as a competetor to 3GIO, but
> in reality AMD says that their technology will compliment PCI
> Express, not compete with it.
>
> Personally, I don't think AMD will take the perilous step of not
> supporting what looks to be the next major form factor standard.
> Especially since it really has little to do with their CPU in the
> first place. BTX doesn't dictate what CPU is used, just where it goes
> on the board.

Also, PCI express is going to move into all slots sooner or later, not
just graphics. The Graphix portion will be a 16X PCI express slot, and
the regular slots will be 1X PCI express. the 1X is about an inch long.
THey are going to start with combos boards as they begin phasing out
PCI.

--
Night_Seer

Thor

> Also, PCI express is going to move into all slots sooner or later, not
> just graphics. The Graphix portion will be a 16X PCI express slot, and
> the regular slots will be 1X PCI express. the 1X is about an inch long.
> THey are going to start with combos boards as they begin phasing out
> PCI.

Many sources also say that PCI Express will phase in very quickly. Much
quicker than PCI and AGP did originally.

An Introduction to Thermaltake's BTX Form Factor Cases Silverstrand Front Page News 0 01-23-2006 04:09 AM
Latest WIndows Update for Wireless-G PCI Adapter Broken? Paul Moloney Wireless Networking 0 06-13-2005 06:40 PM
where to get latest Drivers for Intel Pro/wireless 2100 mini pci adapter Headtheball Wireless Networking 5 09-10-2004 07:19 AM
BTX Phenux A+ Certification 2 02-09-2004 03:28 PM
BTX Phenux Computer Security 3 02-08-2004 03:42 PM

Advertisments