Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Annoying problem

Annoying problem

LarryLamb

When i switch my computer on it fails to boot - no beep - and if i do a
soft boot, it doesn't work but the monitor goes to standby. When i switch
the monitor off and back on a message comes up saying 'no signal input'.
Have checked all cables and the video card is firmly seated. If i then
leave it for a couple of hours, it boots up fine and works all day!...
until the next morning when i switch it back on, and it all starts again.

Thanks for any help on this.

mike

Once again the best trouble shooting skill is process of illimination

1. You first of all have to know what the system is supposed to do in a
working state. ie power post power leds, fans, etc.... Do any or all of
these occur?

2 determine what isn't occuring and of course the result in your case is no
video so is this caused by system failing to even power up? if you are not
even getting the single beep or a multiple beep code as in video error then
my first assumption would be to check power reset all cables and try again
once again check for power fan activity led activity hard drive activity. If
any or some of these are not happening your trouble pretty much lies within
the hardware of the sytem.

3. Isolate the problem Power level checks (multi meter) in order to do these
properly you need to know what type of power supply you have ie at atx
pentium IV etc... this is something you have determin what kind you have

4If all power is present and still no activity in terms of leds fans and
harddrive then you almost certainly have a mother board issue but just to
make sure remove all cards and devices from the system except your video yes
disconnect the keyboard and mouse too of course you will get keyboard error
but if you see this then at least you know your video is now working and if
it is start replacing cards and devices one at a time starting with your
keyboard and mouse

4 if after removing all devices you still do not see the expected results
you have pretty much narrowed it to motherboard or video assuming all power
from the power supply has checked out

5 install working video card try again

6 install working monitor

all of the above are considering the information you provided ie no post
beep and that you have reseated your video card

good luck and I am sure someothers will be around to criticize my techniques
or add some usefull information

Remember there are no magic fixs> experience and process of illimination are
tried tested and true troubleshooting techniques

"LarryLamb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WX9Sb.16580$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When i switch my computer on it fails to boot - no beep - and if i do a
> soft boot, it doesn't work but the monitor goes to standby. When i switch
> the monitor off and back on a message comes up saying 'no signal input'.
> Have checked all cables and the video card is firmly seated. If i then
> leave it for a couple of hours, it boots up fine and works all day!...
> until the next morning when i switch it back on, and it all starts again.
>
> Thanks for any help on this.

Oldus Fartus

LarryLamb wrote:

> When i switch my computer on it fails to boot - no beep - and if i do a
> soft boot, it doesn't work but the monitor goes to standby. When i switch
> the monitor off and back on a message comes up saying 'no signal input'.
> Have checked all cables and the video card is firmly seated. If i then
> leave it for a couple of hours, it boots up fine and works all day!...
> until the next morning when i switch it back on, and it all starts again.
>
> Thanks for any help on this.

Had exactly the same problem this week with one of my "workhorse"
computers Larry. After replacing the video card everything is working
fine again. As yet I haven't had time to check whether it is the card,
or the AGP slot at fault, but for the moment it is working OK, albeit
with a PCI card.

If you can beg, borrow or steal another video card to try out, my best
guess would be that it will work fine.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

LarryLamb

"Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvbih2$1q0f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> LarryLamb wrote:
>
> > When i switch my computer on it fails to boot - no beep - and if i do a
> > soft boot, it doesn't work but the monitor goes to standby. When i

switch
> > the monitor off and back on a message comes up saying 'no signal

input'.
> > Have checked all cables and the video card is firmly seated. If i then
> > leave it for a couple of hours, it boots up fine and works all day!...
> > until the next morning when i switch it back on, and it all starts

again.

> > Thanks for any help on this.
> >

> Had exactly the same problem this week with one of my "workhorse"
> computers Larry. After replacing the video card everything is working
> fine again. As yet I haven't had time to check whether it is the card,
> or the AGP slot at fault, but for the moment it is working OK, albeit
> with a PCI card.
>
> If you can beg, borrow or steal another video card to try out, my best
> guess would be that it will work fine.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Oldus Fartus

Thanks Oldus and Mike for your advice. Going to buy a new and better video
card on Monday, as it's well past it's sell by date. I think that will
sort it. Thanks again.