Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problems with deleting AVI files

Problems with deleting AVI files

saimin

When I want to delete an AVI file, it always says that the program is in use
by another program. I'm not playing the movie or anything, I've checked
Taskmanager and nothing is in use.

What's weird is, I can sometimes delete the file with through Nero after
rebooting the computer but never by Windows Explorer.

Does anyone know what can be the problem here, and find a solution that
doesn't need Nero

Thank you

Jerry G.

Do a properties on it, and then see if it is a read only, or is a classed as
a system file. At the properties screen you can change the file to only be
an archive type. This will allow you to then delete it, if something else is
not using it.

If the file is archive only, and it will still not delete, then there is a
work around. You can boot in the dos mode, go the directory where it is, and
manually delete it. If you shell to dos, this method will not work. The
machine must be booted to dos. But, when using this method, the file is not
recoverable.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"saimin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40180d08$0$772$(E-Mail Removed)...
When I want to delete an AVI file, it always says that the program is in use
by another program. I'm not playing the movie or anything, I've checked
Taskmanager and nothing is in use.

What's weird is, I can sometimes delete the file with through Nero after
rebooting the computer but never by Windows Explorer.

Does anyone know what can be the problem here, and find a solution that
doesn't need Nero

Thank you

Thor

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bv9n2q$enl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do a properties on it, and then see if it is a read only, or is a classed

as
> a system file. At the properties screen you can change the file to only

be
> an archive type. This will allow you to then delete it, if something else

is
> not using it.
>
> If the file is archive only, and it will still not delete, then there is a
> work around. You can boot in the dos mode, go the directory where it is,

and
> manually delete it. If you shell to dos, this method will not work. The
> machine must be booted to dos. But, when using this method, the file is

not
> recoverable.

Alternatively, if using Windows 2000, or XP, and you get an undeletable
problem file you can open a command prompt window, navigate to the folder
with the problem file, and then press CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the task
manager. End the explorer.exe process in the processes pane, and the taskbar
and desktop will disappear but the command prompt window will remain. Delete
the problem file using DOS commands, and then press CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up
the task manager again. Then click the "applications" tab, and click "new
task". Type in "explorer.exe" and the desktop icons and taskbar will return.

saimin

Thor's solution is working perfect.

Thanks guys