Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > laptop as 2nd monitor

laptop as 2nd monitor

charles

Hi,

i've a Acer laptop with a huge 17" screen on it. Altho most of the times the
big screen is a nice feature, i sometimes need a smaller monitor (attached
on my trucks dashboard e.g. to display my (GPS)position on a map.
Is there any way to use my tiny Toshiba Libretto mini laptop as my
screendevice??? The libretto is still running win95 altho i think W98 is an
option, the Acer runs on Win XP home ed.

thanks in advance
charles
the netherlands

Pepperoni

See if your graphics supports dual display. Some do. Another option might
be using a remote desktop type ap to display from one pc to the other. In
either case, they would need to be connected by cable (or ethernet LAN) or
wirelessly.

"charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4014253a$0$538$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> i've a Acer laptop with a huge 17" screen on it. Altho most of the times

the
> big screen is a nice feature, i sometimes need a smaller monitor (attached
> on my trucks dashboard e.g. to display my (GPS)position on a map.
> Is there any way to use my tiny Toshiba Libretto mini laptop as my
> screendevice??? The libretto is still running win95 altho i think W98 is

an
> option, the Acer runs on Win XP home ed.
>
> thanks in advance
> charles
> the netherlands

Thor

Nope.

"charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4014253a$0$538$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> i've a Acer laptop with a huge 17" screen on it. Altho most of the times

the
> big screen is a nice feature, i sometimes need a smaller monitor (attached
> on my trucks dashboard e.g. to display my (GPS)position on a map.
> Is there any way to use my tiny Toshiba Libretto mini laptop as my
> screendevice??? The libretto is still running win95 altho i think W98 is

an
> option, the Acer runs on Win XP home ed.
>
> thanks in advance
> charles
> the netherlands

Rv!

"charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4014253a$0$538$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi,
|
| i've a Acer laptop with a huge 17" screen on it. Altho most of the times the
| big screen is a nice feature, i sometimes need a smaller monitor (attached
| on my trucks dashboard e.g. to display my (GPS)position on a map.
| Is there any way to use my tiny Toshiba Libretto mini laptop as my
| screendevice??? The libretto is still running win95 altho i think W98 is an
| option, the Acer runs on Win XP home ed.

Why not try using www.realvnc.com and setting up a cross over lead network
between the two. I use the program to virtual desktop to home from work and
for my laptop in the living room when I want to control the PC in the office
upstairs. It's an excellent piece of software that should do well for your requirements.
Like all software it sometimes gets it wrong, but that's life!

Robertv!

Tom Dyer

A free program called VNC would do the job
get it from www.realvnc.com and network the two computers together.
power and battery life could be a problem.

hope this helps
--
Tom Dyer BEng