Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DVD dual-layer recorder for PC, when?

DVD dual-layer recorder for PC, when?

Adriano

Hi,
I'd like to know when the first dual-layer recorder DVDfor PC will
sheep.
thanks

bye Adriano

DarkMatter

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:16:55 GMT, Adriano <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>Hi,
>I'd like to know when the first dual-layer recorder DVDfor PC will
>sheep.
>thanks
>
> bye Adriano

Yer an idiot. Commercial, multilayer DVDs are NOT "burned" dipshit!

Skid

"DarkMatter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:16:55 GMT, Adriano <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
> us:
>
> >Hi,
> >I'd like to know when the first dual-layer recorder DVDfor PC will
> >sheep.
> >thanks
> >
> > bye Adriano

> Yer an idiot. Commercial, multilayer DVDs are NOT "burned" dipshit!

Of course, FecalMatter, that's not what he was asking. Dual-layer PC burners
are already being shown and should be available for purchase in the spring.

http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/person...9163045,00.htm

DarkMatter

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:18:27 GMT, "Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Gave us:

>Of course, FecalMatter, that's not what he was asking. Dual-layer PC burners
>are already being shown and should be available for purchase in the spring.
>
>http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/person...9163045,00.htm

Yeah, with probably a 50% dropout rate on burned discs... oh boy!

Fogar

> Yeah, with probably a 50% dropout rate on burned discs... oh boy!

Do you mean the new dual-layer recorders are worse than the actual
recorders?
Why do you tell it?

bye Fogar

luminos

Thanks for this link! This looks like a hopeless format to me. For DVD-R
two layer, both layers must be completely recorded to be playable.
For DVD+R the same amount of recordable data must be on each layer. Sheesh!

"Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "DarkMatter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:16:55 GMT, Adriano <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
> > us:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >I'd like to know when the first dual-layer recorder DVDfor PC will
> > >sheep.
> > >thanks
> > >
> > > bye Adriano

> > Yer an idiot. Commercial, multilayer DVDs are NOT "burned" dipshit!

> Of course, FecalMatter, that's not what he was asking. Dual-layer PC

burners
> are already being shown and should be available for purchase in the

spring.

> http://asia.cnet.com/newstech/person...9163045,00.htm

Thor

"DarkMatter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:16:55 GMT, Adriano <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
> us:
>
> >Hi,
> >I'd like to know when the first dual-layer recorder DVDfor PC will
> >sheep.
> >thanks
> >
> > bye Adriano

> Yer an idiot. Commercial, multilayer DVDs are NOT "burned" dipshit!

Designate yourself as the "dipshit" since multilayer DVD/R and DVD/RW discs
have been developed as well as the burners that can use them. He is asking
how long it will be until he can purchase one of these new multilayer
burners. He never mentioned "commercial", idiot.

Trevor S

"luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:QKWQb.5630180$(E-Mail Removed):

> For DVD+R the same amount of recordable data must be on each
> layer. Sheesh!

I fail to see how this is a problem on PC burners ? If you have 5GB to
burn for instance then put 2.5 on each layer, I presume the burning
software, when it catches up with the hardware will sort this out for you.
Set top recorders will be a different kettle of fish though, of course if
you have a HDD recorder I image it won't be a problem (ie the hardware will
simpily plit the file size in two and dub to the blank DVD media), the only
problme I could forsee will be direct recording to the media, this presumes
compatability with current systems.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

luminos

"Trevor S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "luminos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:QKWQb.5630180$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > For DVD+R the same amount of recordable data must be on each
> > layer. Sheesh!

> I fail to see how this is a problem on PC burners ? If you have 5GB to
> burn for instance then put 2.5 on each layer, I presume the burning
> software, when it catches up with the hardware will sort this out for you.
> Set top recorders will be a different kettle of fish though, of course if
> you have a HDD recorder I image it won't be a problem (ie the hardware

will
> simpily plit the file size in two and dub to the blank DVD media), the

only
> problme I could forsee will be direct recording to the media, this

presumes
> compatability with current systems.
>
> --
> Trevor S
>

> "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
> -Albert Einstein

Quote:

he said dual-layer recording, no matter what the format, faces hurdles. One
is the importance of fully recording both layers of a dual-layer disc, he
said. If that doesn't occur, Parsons said, some DVD players might behave
unpredictably, for instance by causing a momentary interruption of the
program.

I read this to mean that although the DVD+R spec does not 'require' full
recording, most players expect it. This seems to be a player ROM issue.