Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to Change IP Address?

How to Change IP Address?

James

Can anyone tell me how and individual computer's IP address is
determined?

Once a computer has an IP address can it be changed? How?

Thanks

James

Pepperoni

IPs are assigned to you from your provider. Some IPs are permanently
assigned, but most (especially dialup) may be changed each time you
reconnect.

If you use a router, your local IP can be manipulated to some degree by
entering setup and changing the "start ip" which determines the last 3
numbers in your LAN IP.

To some degree, broadband IPs MAY change if you release/renew your IP.
Generally, however, the same IP is merely reassigned. For win98 the process
is initiated by run/winipcfg (other OSs use slightly different program
name)
The router may issue IPs, or your LAN may be set to permanently assign the
same IP to each (or some) PCs to allow reliable constant IPs for file
servers, printers, etc.

news:Xns947A97BC3560Enewsquilliannet@24.93.43.121. ..
> Can anyone tell me how and individual computer's IP address is
> determined?
>
> Once a computer has an IP address can it be changed? How?
>
> Thanks
>
> James

John

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:28:18 -0500, "Pepperoni"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>IPs are assigned to you from your provider. Some IPs are permanently
>assigned, but most (especially dialup) may be changed each time you
>reconnect.
>
>If you use a router, your local IP can be manipulated to some degree by
>entering setup and changing the "start ip" which determines the last 3
>numbers in your LAN IP.
>
>To some degree, broadband IPs MAY change if you release/renew your IP.
>Generally, however, the same IP is merely reassigned. For win98 the process
>is initiated by run/winipcfg (other OSs use slightly different program
>name)
>The router may issue IPs, or your LAN may be set to permanently assign the
>same IP to each (or some) PCs to allow reliable constant IPs for file
>servers, printers, etc.

If anyone knows what you need to type in XP Pro to access the Ip info
I wouldn't mind knowing that info.

Thanks

John

Duane Arnold

James <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Xns947A97BC3560Enewsquilliannet@
24.93.43.121:

> Can anyone tell me how and individual computer's IP address is
> determined?
>
> Once a computer has an IP address can it be changed? How?
>
> Thanks
>
> James

If you're on a dial-up or using ADSL, then you will get a different DHCP
IP assign each time you connect to the ISP.

If you're connecting to a broad band ISP, the DHCP or static IP issued by
the ISP is tied to the MAC of the NIC on your computer or whatever device
that's behind the modem, such as the router's MAC is known to the ISP.

But what actually gets the IP from the ISP in either of the above cases
is the modem, which has its own MAC which is provisioned with the ISP and
the second MAC of the computer's NIC or router's MAC are link to the
user's account.

You can leave your modem and machine off for a couple months and you may
or may not get a new IP. You can also call the ISP and see if you can get
a new one issued, if someone on the Help Desk even knows what you are
requesting.

Duane

Pepperoni

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:28:18 -0500, "Pepperoni"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >IPs are assigned to you from your provider. Some IPs are permanently
> >assigned, but most (especially dialup) may be changed each time you
> >reconnect.
> >
> >If you use a router, your local IP can be manipulated to some degree by
> >entering setup and changing the "start ip" which determines the last 3
> >numbers in your LAN IP.
> >
> >To some degree, broadband IPs MAY change if you release/renew your IP.
> >Generally, however, the same IP is merely reassigned. For win98 the

process
> >is initiated by run/winipcfg (other OSs use slightly different program
> >name)
> >The router may issue IPs, or your LAN may be set to permanently assign

the
> >same IP to each (or some) PCs to allow reliable constant IPs for file
> >servers, printers, etc.

> If anyone knows what you need to type in XP Pro to access the Ip info
> I wouldn't mind knowing that info.

In your help files, look up "IP configuration utility". It will tell you
the proper file to run.

Wizard

Open a dos box (run "cmd")
type "ipconfig"

John wrote:

> If anyone knows what you need to type in XP Pro to access the Ip info
> I wouldn't mind knowing that info.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Todd Howard

Go to "run"...type cmd.....then type ipconfig /all in the "dos" box that
comes up...
TH
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:28:18 -0500, "Pepperoni"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >IPs are assigned to you from your provider. Some IPs are permanently
> >assigned, but most (especially dialup) may be changed each time you
> >reconnect.
> >
> >If you use a router, your local IP can be manipulated to some degree by
> >entering setup and changing the "start ip" which determines the last 3
> >numbers in your LAN IP.
> >
> >To some degree, broadband IPs MAY change if you release/renew your IP.
> >Generally, however, the same IP is merely reassigned. For win98 the

process
> >is initiated by run/winipcfg (other OSs use slightly different program
> >name)
> >The router may issue IPs, or your LAN may be set to permanently assign

the
> >same IP to each (or some) PCs to allow reliable constant IPs for file
> >servers, printers, etc.

> If anyone knows what you need to type in XP Pro to access the Ip info
> I wouldn't mind knowing that info.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

Robert

I tried this and it brought up all of the information, however how do
you actually modify it? This only looks like it shows you the data.

"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Open a dos box (run "cmd")
> type "ipconfig"

Trent©

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:58:08 GMT, "Robert" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I tried this and it brought up all of the information, however how do
>you actually modify it? This only looks like it shows you the data.
>
>"Wizard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Open a dos box (run "cmd")
>> type "ipconfig"

type...

ipconfig /?

that'll tell you the commands available to change things.

Have a nice week...

Trent

If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

Wizard

Networking/tcpip/properties