Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > WMP avi codecs

WMP avi codecs

Chef!

When I played an .avi file on WMP9, I was told that the file has an
extension that did not match the format and did I want to proceed -yes or
no. On one occassion I said 'no' and now most .avi files just won't play.
Does anyone know how I can revert the player to 'yes' so it can play. On
the files that won't play, I've tried it on another machine and it plays
fine.

TIA

Todd Howard

Go into "tools" then "options" then "file types"....check off .avi...
TH
"Chef!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6frQb.10045$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I played an .avi file on WMP9, I was told that the file has an
> extension that did not match the format and did I want to proceed -yes or
> no. On one occassion I said 'no' and now most .avi files just won't play.
> Does anyone know how I can revert the player to 'yes' so it can play. On
> the files that won't play, I've tried it on another machine and it plays
> fine.
>
> TIA

Chef!

still comes up with an error message.
"Todd Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:50uQb.2932$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go into "tools" then "options" then "file types"....check off .avi...
> TH
> "Chef!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6frQb.10045$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I played an .avi file on WMP9, I was told that the file has an
> > extension that did not match the format and did I want to proceed -yes

or
> > no. On one occassion I said 'no' and now most .avi files just won't

play.
> > Does anyone know how I can revert the player to 'yes' so it can play.

On
> > the files that won't play, I've tried it on another machine and it plays
> > fine.
> >
> > TIA

Rob Hemmings

"Chef!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6frQb.10045$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I played an .avi file on WMP9, I was told that the file has an
> extension that did not match the format and did I want to proceed -yes or
> no. On one occassion I said 'no' and now most .avi files just won't play.
> Does anyone know how I can revert the player to 'yes' so it can play. On
> the files that won't play, I've tried it on another machine and it plays
> fine.

Right-click an AVI file in an Explorer window and choose
'Open with>Choose program'. Now select Windows Media
Player from the list that appears and check the box "Always use
this program open these files".
HTH
--
Rob