Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Cheap Software?

Cheap Software?

DH

I have received spam from a couple of different vendors that sell Windows XP
Pro for $39.00US. Other name brand software packages are sold at similar
discounts. Are these guys for real? Has anyone tried to buy anything from
one of those type vendors.

I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they are
bogus.

Thanks,

Dave H.

DeMoN LaG

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in news:buo6fp$jk9vl$1@ID-
98730.news.uni-berlin.de:

> I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they are
> bogus.

Posting it would be OK. Odds are if they are selling for only $39, they
are selling you either a license with no media, or media but no license.
As in, they will sell you a license to use the software but not give you
the software, or they are selling you the CD to install it but no legal
right to use it.

Sounds fishy, but post the link anyway. If it is indeed too good to be
true but is true anyway, I may go on an upgrade spree and upgrade my house
from 2000 to XP. Can't beat that price.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Pepperoni

Report the spam to
http://www.bsa.org/usa/report/Reporting-Form.cfm
Business software alliance piracy report

Microsoft Products
If the piracy you know about involves Microsoft® products, please e-mail
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or fill out the piracy reporting form at
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.asp.

Internet fraud complaint center (FBI)
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

I would take the time to report to all of these sites. A lot of the piracy
originates overseas, and is a big problem. There are a lot of sites that
allow downloads of pirated software, but there are also credit card rip offs
involved in these scams.

Be sure to copy the entire source info from the email or web posting.

Pepperoni

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in message
news:buo6fp$jk9vl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have received spam from a couple of different vendors that sell Windows

XP
> Pro for $39.00US. Other name brand software packages are sold at similar
> discounts. Are these guys for real? Has anyone tried to buy anything

from
> one of those type vendors.
>
> I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they are
> bogus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave H.

DH

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in news:buo6fp$jk9vl$1@ID-
> 98730.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> > I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they

are
> > bogus.

> Posting it would be OK. Odds are if they are selling for only $39, they
> are selling you either a license with no media, or media but no license.
> As in, they will sell you a license to use the software but not give you
> the software, or they are selling you the CD to install it but no legal
> right to use it.
>
> Sounds fishy, but post the link anyway. If it is indeed too good to be
> true but is true anyway, I may go on an upgrade spree and upgrade my house
> from 2000 to XP. Can't beat that price.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

In reading the faqs, it states
"You get the CD(s) with the software in jewel case and labels. You also get
the activation key, serial number or cd key necessary to activate the
software so it work"

The faqs also state:
"The software is shipped from Eastern Europe"

As much as I dislike MS, I suspect that they will not be getting their cut
and this isn't right. I think I'll file it under "Spam".

Dave H.

Jerry G.

These are all pirate software, if you read the published news reports. The
price that they are asking is well below even the distribution cost.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in message
news:buo6fp$jk9vl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
I have received spam from a couple of different vendors that sell Windows XP
Pro for $39.00US. Other name brand software packages are sold at similar
discounts. Are these guys for real? Has anyone tried to buy anything from
one of those type vendors.

I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they are
bogus.

Thanks,

Dave H.

Calvin Crumrine

DH wrote:
> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>
>>"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in news:buo6fp$jk9vl$1@ID-
>>98730.news.uni-berlin.de:
>>

>>>I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they

> are
>
>>>bogus.

>>Posting it would be OK. Odds are if they are selling for only $39, they
>>are selling you either a license with no media, or media but no license.
>>As in, they will sell you a license to use the software but not give you
>>the software, or they are selling you the CD to install it but no legal
>>right to use it.
>>
>>Sounds fishy, but post the link anyway. If it is indeed too good to be
>>true but is true anyway, I may go on an upgrade spree and upgrade my house
>>from 2000 to XP. Can't beat that price.
>>

> In reading the faqs, it states
> "You get the CD(s) with the software in jewel case and labels. You also get
> the activation key, serial number or cd key necessary to activate the
> software so it work"
>
> The faqs also state:
> "The software is shipped from Eastern Europe"
>
> As much as I dislike MS, I suspect that they will not be getting their cut
> and this isn't right. I think I'll file it under "Spam".
>
> Dave H.

Sounds likely to be pirated to me. I notice that they don't mention
(according to your post) a COA. As I understand it, the license is in
the COA, not just in the serial number/key. (Of course they could
provide a counterfeit COA just as they could be/probably are providing
counterfeit CD's.)

I've purchased some software (Norton SystemWorks) from a discounter & it
appeared to be legit-a year-old version w/o manuals, but apparently
legit. I did hear a couple of months later though that there were some
very good counterfeits going around. My problem is, if the counterfeits
are good enough to fool experts how can I be expected to tell the
difference?

DeMoN LaG

"DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in
news:buo929$k4e5b$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> "You get the CD(s) with the software in jewel case and labels. You
> also get
> the activation key, serial number or cd key necessary to activate the
> software so it work"

Notice the phrasing:
"get the ... to activate the software so it works". They shouldn't have to
mention that. Obviously they are selling pirated versions with
stolen/cracked serial numbers.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Vince Slevin

The buying isn't secure with a certificate and the email address is fake. On
the whois theres a different email. Also, the prices are too low and free
shippin gto the US from Europe. I bet he doesnt even send you anything.

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bup0tn$qm3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> These are all pirate software, if you read the published news reports. The
> price that they are asking is well below even the distribution cost.
>
> --
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
> WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
> Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
>

> "DH" <(E-Mail Removed)(axe the x's)> wrote in message
> news:buo6fp$jk9vl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have received spam from a couple of different vendors that sell Windows

XP
> Pro for $39.00US. Other name brand software packages are sold at similar
> discounts. Are these guys for real? Has anyone tried to buy anything

from
> one of those type vendors.
>
> I don't want to give the link as I don't want to promote them if they are
> bogus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave H.

DeMoN LaG

"Vince Slevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> The buying isn't secure with a certificate and the email address is
> fake. On the whois theres a different email. Also, the prices are too
> low and free shippin gto the US from Europe. I bet he doesnt even send
> you anything.

I don't see why he wouldn't. Spending ~$.15 on a CDR + ~$10 to send you
something in the mail for a total of $40 means you make ~$30 profit per
item.

Just because there is a free shipping offer doesn't mean nothing will be
shipped, see NewEgg.com, where things like Monitors and Cases usually
qualify for free shipping, or $5 shipping (on average, I've found shipping
a 19" CRT from CA to NJ is like $3.

But yes, in this case, the entire thing is a sham to sell pirated software,
and the OP should indeed report it to the FBI and to (E-Mail Removed).
Out of the two, I'd be much more afraid of microsoft. They have gone after
people with domain names like mikerowesoft.ca and mikerosoft.ca with
threats of legal action for attempting to impersonate
Microsoft.ca/Microsoft.com and for registering the domain names in bad
faith. I mean, wtf, if your name is Mike Rowe and you have software, why
is MikeRoweSoft a bad faith name? Either way, sending a piracy report to
MS is absolutely certain to get some type of action taken.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Plato

DH wrote:

> I have received spam from a couple of different vendors that sell Windows XP
> Pro for $39.00US. Other name brand software packages are sold at similar
> discounts. Are these guys for real? Has anyone tried to buy anything from
> one of those type vendors.

Yep. all for real. I always trust what spammers say 100%.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/