Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > network card

network card

Dee

Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking it
out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in the arse to
dismantle it in the place it is!

DeMoN LaG

"Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bunu4m$rlf$(E-Mail Removed):

> Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking
> it out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in
> the arse to dismantle it in the place it is!

In Device Manager look under "Network Adapters" to see if there are any
Ethernet controllers/cards. Alternatively, look on the back of the machine
to see if there is a small jack that looks kinda like a phone jack, but
isn't a phone jack.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Dee

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bunu4m$rlf$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking
> > it out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in
> > the arse to dismantle it in the place it is!
> >

> In Device Manager look under "Network Adapters" to see if there are any
> Ethernet controllers/cards. Alternatively, look on the back of the

machine
> to see if there is a small jack that looks kinda like a phone jack, but
> isn't a phone jack.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

In network adaptors it says 1394 Net adaptor - is that a network card? Also
got a firewire card. Do I still need an Ethernet?

George

No, IEEE-1394 is a firewire card (Sony calls it i-link, all the same thing).
Re: do you need a network card...that depends on what you want to do.

The most common use for firewire right now is to transfer large amounts of
data (digital video or digital photos). It is also gaining momentum in
industrial usage for controlling newly-designed test instrumentation.

Network cards are usually used to allow your computer to share resources
(files, printers, Internet connection) with other computers. (There is also
test instrumentation that is controlled via network connections.)

"Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buobhp$ete$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> > "Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:bunu4m$rlf$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking
> > > it out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in
> > > the arse to dismantle it in the place it is!
> > >

> > In Device Manager look under "Network Adapters" to see if there are any
> > Ethernet controllers/cards. Alternatively, look on the back of the

> machine
> > to see if there is a small jack that looks kinda like a phone jack, but
> > isn't a phone jack.
> >
> > --
> > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> > website: under construction
> > Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> > email/IM for rates/services

> In network adaptors it says 1394 Net adaptor - is that a network card?

Also
> got a firewire card. Do I still need an Ethernet?

Thor

If the card is present, and the drivers are installed, then yes you should
see an entry for it under "network adapters" in the device manager. Don't
confuse it with the "dialup adapter" which may also be present under that
category if the machine has a modem.

"Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bunu4m$rlf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking it
> out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in the arse

> dismantle it in the place it is!

Thor

"Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buobhp$ete$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> > "Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:bunu4m$rlf$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > Can I tell if my machine is fitted with a network card without taking
> > > it out? i.e. from device manager or something? It's a prize pain in
> > > the arse to dismantle it in the place it is!
> > >

> > In Device Manager look under "Network Adapters" to see if there are any
> > Ethernet controllers/cards. Alternatively, look on the back of the

> machine
> > to see if there is a small jack that looks kinda like a phone jack, but
> > isn't a phone jack.
> >
> > --
> > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> > website: under construction
> > Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
> > email/IM for rates/services

> In network adaptors it says 1394 Net adaptor - is that a network card?

Also
> got a firewire card. Do I still need an Ethernet?

The 1394 device is firewire. Since it would appear that you do not have an
ethernet card, to make things simple, you could avoid opening up the thing
entirely, and just get a USB network adapter. It plugs into your USB port,
and then you will have a network adapter without installing an internal
network card.