Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > changing motherboards

changing motherboards

Thor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mark mandel wrote:
> > "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:40103e27$0$98863$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:bup0to$qm3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> It depends on the amount of hardware changed. In many cases,
> >> swapping the motherboard will not initiate a request for
> >> re-activation. The hardware hash is generated from a number of the
> >> components in the system not merely the motherboard. The harddrive,
> >> motherboard BIOS, NIC card GUID, and other components. It takes
> >> changing certain minimum number of components involved in the hash
> >> to force a reactivation. If you have a motherboard with mostly
> >> onboard stuff, including the NIC, then it will likely want to
> >> reactivate, but if your system has mostly discreet cards for sound,
> >> video, network, etc. and you merely swap the motherboard, it
> >> shouldn't be enough to request reactivation.

> > Yes, I read that it's based on a point system with the different
> > components assigned different values. And if you tally up enough,
> > then activation(or re-activation more precisely)will be required.
> >
> > Mark Mandell

> I believe it was something like 4 or more device changes will trigger
> it. There was a distinction between major devices (MB) and minor ones
> too (Modem)

4 devices if one of the swapped devices is a NIC, and 6 if not, IIRC. The
NIC gets the most weight in the equasion.

V W Wall

Night_Seer wrote:

> I believe it was something like 4 or more device changes will trigger
> it. There was a distinction between major devices (MB) and minor ones
> too (Modem)

For a report on the Windows Product Activation, (WPA), see:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

which explains the "point" system.

Virg Wall
--

Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

Plato

feivel wrote:

> is that true that if i put in a different motherboard, i will have to
> reinstall winXP?

Do a repair install to force XP to find the new hardware.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/