Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Sound out of sync with video

Sound out of sync with video

Jay Knerr

I recently installed a Sony DVD Burner DRU-530A in my computer (Pentium III
450 MHz w/ 320 mb ram, Windows XP). For some reason the sound is slightly
out of sync with the video from any DVD I playback. Any suggestions for
correcting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry G.

You need a faster machine, especially for XP and a DVD drive. A 750 mHz CPU
is about the minimum that I would recommend, with a fast buss, and about 256
mb of RAM is about the minimum ( 320 mb is very good ) I would recommend
when viewing DVD's. There is a lot of processing going on when using video.
Then on top of this, XP is a very resource heavy operating system.

I have a 1000 mHz machine with 256 mb of RAM working on Win 98, and it is
just borderline in its performance when playing DVD disks.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Jay Knerr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z3HPb.703$(E-Mail Removed)...
I recently installed a Sony DVD Burner DRU-530A in my computer (Pentium III
450 MHz w/ 320 mb ram, Windows XP). For some reason the sound is slightly
out of sync with the video from any DVD I playback. Any suggestions for
correcting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

DeMoN LaG

"Jay Knerr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:z3HPb.703$(E-Mail Removed):

> I recently installed a Sony DVD Burner DRU-530A in my computer
> (Pentium III 450 MHz w/ 320 mb ram, Windows XP). For some reason the
> sound is slightly out of sync with the video from any DVD I playback.
> Any suggestions for correcting this issue would be greatly
> appreciated.

My first guess would be the CPU is pegged at 100% doing the DVD decoding
and can't handle keeping it in sync. Have you tried a few different DVD
playback programs?

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

DeMoN LaG

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bunfp4$ffm$1
@news.eusc.inter.net:

> I have a 1000 mHz machine with 256 mb of RAM working on Win 98, and it is
> just borderline in its performance when playing DVD disks.

Your machine is not well designed then. I used to watch DVDs on my 800 mhz
Duron with 256 megs of RAM running Windows 2000 and I had absolutely no
problems at all.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

Thor

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Jay Knerr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:z3HPb.703$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I recently installed a Sony DVD Burner DRU-530A in my computer
> > (Pentium III 450 MHz w/ 320 mb ram, Windows XP). For some reason the
> > sound is slightly out of sync with the video from any DVD I playback.
> > Any suggestions for correcting this issue would be greatly
> > appreciated.

> My first guess would be the CPU is pegged at 100% doing the DVD decoding
> and can't handle keeping it in sync. Have you tried a few different DVD
> playback programs?

And he should also check to see if the drive is operating in DMA mode. That
makes a big difference in playback smoothness.

Thor

"Jay Knerr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have tried a two DVD playback programs both with the same result. As

far
> as the DMA setting, The drive instructions say that DMA mode needs to be
> active but I can't find any reference to a DMA setting in the drive
> properties. Am I not looking in the right place?

unlike Win9x, the DMA properties for WinXP are in the IDE controllers
section. Look at the properties for the primary, or secondary controllers
(depending on which channel your DVD drive is connected to) and make sure it
is set to "DMA if available". Then the window below it will state what mode
the drive is running in currently. If it reads "PIO only" even after setting
it to "DMA when available" and rebooting, then you may be out of luck.

Jay Knerr

I have tried a two DVD playback programs both with the same result. As far
as the DMA setting, The drive instructions say that DMA mode needs to be
active but I can't find any reference to a DMA setting in the drive
properties. Am I not looking in the right place?

news:400fd0ff$0$48165$(E-Mail Removed)...