Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > File transfer without PC Anywhere?

File transfer without PC Anywhere?

Calvin Crumrine

Beachcomber wrote:
>>Let me get this straight. You already have the two computers networked
>>together on a LAN, and you don't know how to transfer files between them???
>>You simply share the drive of the source PC, and locate the shared resources
>>via the client or receiving PC in network neighborhood, (My Network Places
>>in WInXP) and you can drag/drop the files and folders to your local drive.
>>Why would you need PC Anywhere or some other 3rd party app to simply copy
>>files over the existing network? What you require is already built into
>>Windows.
>>

> Thor:
>
> I must have gone brain dead there for a while. Thanks for pointing
> out the solution that I should have seen as obvious. I think that I
> was aware of the file sharing feature, but never thought of using it
> because of security issues. If you turn it off after your done, it
> doesn't matter, does it...
>
> Beachcomber

You also have several options on sharing. You can make the share
read-only if all you're worried about is 'unauthorized' changes. You can
assign a password so only those you give the password to can access the
share. And in WinXP (Pro, at least) you can set access rights for each
userID.

There are probably loopholes in these so if you need 'tight' security
then yes, your best bet is to remove the share when you're done with
it-but if you set it up right then you can still get reasonable security
while leaving it set up permanently.