Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Firewall questions

Firewall questions

Ctrl+Alt+Del_356

I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls, etc., I
need some advice. But first, here is what I have.

My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works. Just slow,
like me). Both are using Windows 98se.

I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a later
time.

Questions:

1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware firewall
to cover both?

2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I shouldn'
t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other than being
free?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Night_Seer

Ctrl+Alt+Del_356 wrote:
> I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
> emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls,
> etc., I need some advice. But first, here is what I have.
>
> My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works.
> Just slow, like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
>
> I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a
> later time.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware
> firewall to cover both?
>
> 2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
> ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I
> shouldn' t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall,
> other than being free?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.

Actually I have been liking Zone Alarm less and less. I use kerio
personal firewall now, and have heard pretty good things about CA
ezFirewall. I would say that should be fine for your uses.

--
Night_Seer

Duane Arnold

"Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
> emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls, etc.,
> I need some advice. But first, here is what I have.
>
> My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works. Just
> slow, like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
>
> I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a
> later time.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware
> firewall to cover both?
>
> 2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
> ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I
> shouldn' t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall,
> other than being free?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.

You'll want to get a NAT router and put it in front of the machines,
because a NAT router will stop the attacks and scans of unsolicited
inbound traffic and the machines with their O/S and host based FW will
not have to burn the machine's resources to stop the attacks and scans.
Your machines can spend their resources doing more productive things for
you, instead of beating off the attacks.

However, a cheap NAT router cannot stop outbound connections, since it
doesn't have a real FW and you'll need a host based FW on the machine
that will do that.

You should find a host based FW that eill meet your needs. All fo them
have full version trial ware you can try.

You can get a NAT router on sale for $20 big ones.

Duane

Duane

Trent©

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:37:40 -0600, "Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
>emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls, etc., I
>need some advice. But first, here is what I have.
>
>My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works. Just slow,
>like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
>
>I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a later
>time.
>
>Questions:
>
>1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware firewall
>to cover both?

Yes...follow Duane's advice. OEM routers are only $15-20 nowadays.

>2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
>ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I shouldn'
>t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other than being
>free?

The free Zone Alarm is garbage! EZ products are all good...but I
haven't run the premium ZA to offer an opinion on your question.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

Jerry G.

A hardware firewall is the best. It would go between the Ethernet card and
the DSL modem. You can also put on a low cost router that has a built in
firewall. I found that most of these firewall software's were a lot of
problems, and used too many resources. If you have Windows XP with SP 1,
there should be a built in firewall.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls, etc., I
need some advice. But first, here is what I have.

My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works. Just slow,
like me). Both are using Windows 98se.

I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a later
time.

Questions:

1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware firewall
to cover both?

2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I shouldn'
t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other than being
free?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Me

How effective is this built in firewall? I am always a bit sceptical when it
comes to 'built in' add on's.

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bul018$ktf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A hardware firewall is the best. It would go between the Ethernet card

and
> the DSL modem. You can also put on a low cost router that has a built in
> firewall. I found that most of these firewall software's were a lot of
> problems, and used too many resources. If you have Windows XP with SP 1,
> there should be a built in firewall.
>
> --
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
> WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
> Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
>

> "Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
> emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls, etc., I
> need some advice. But first, here is what I have.
>
> My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works. Just

slow,
> like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
>
> I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a later
> time.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware

firewall
> to cover both?
>
> 2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
> ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I

shouldn'
> t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other than

being
> free?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice.

Me

That wasn't worded very well. I should have said 'built-in' accessories.

"Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:400e0c26$0$1742$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> How effective is this built in firewall? I am always a bit sceptical when

it
> comes to 'built in' add on's.
>

> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bul018$ktf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > A hardware firewall is the best. It would go between the Ethernet card

> and
> > the DSL modem. You can also put on a low cost router that has a built

in
> > firewall. I found that most of these firewall software's were a lot of
> > problems, and used too many resources. If you have Windows XP with SP

1,
> > there should be a built in firewall.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
> > WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
> > Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
> >

> > "Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions start
> > emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband, firewalls, etc., I
> > need some advice. But first, here is what I have.
> >
> > My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works. Just

> slow,
> > like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
> >
> > I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at a

later
> > time.
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware

> firewall
> > to cover both?
> >
> > 2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
> > ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I

> shouldn'
> > t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other than

> being
> > free?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your advice.

Duane Arnold

"Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:400e0d51$0$1755$(E-Mail Removed) u:

> That wasn't worded very well. I should have said 'built-in'
> accessories.
>

> "Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:400e0c26$0$1742$(E-Mail Removed) u...
>> How effective is this built in firewall? I am always a bit sceptical
>> when

> it
>> comes to 'built in' add on's.
>>

>> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bul018$ktf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > A hardware firewall is the best. It would go between the Ethernet
>> > card

>> and
>> > the DSL modem. You can also put on a low cost router that has a
>> > built

> in
>> > firewall. I found that most of these firewall software's were a
>> > lot of problems, and used too many resources. If you have Windows
>> > XP with SP

> 1,
>> > there should be a built in firewall.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
>> > =========================================
>> > WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
>> > Electronics http://www.zoom-one.com/electron.htm
>> > =========================================
>> >

>> > "Ctrl+Alt+Del_356" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I finally have DSL available in my town. But now the questions
>> > start emerging. Since I have no experience with Broadband,
>> > firewalls, etc., I need some advice. But first, here is what I
>> > have.
>> >
>> > My computers are an AMD1133 and an AMD266 (don't laugh.it works.
>> > Just

>> slow,
>> > like me). Both are using Windows 98se.
>> >
>> > I plan on hooking the 1133 up first, then networking the 266 in at

> later
>> > time.
>> >
>> > Questions:
>> >
>> > 1. Should I use a software firewall on both computers or a hardware

>> firewall
>> > to cover both?
>> >
>> > 2. If I should go with a software firewall, I'm leaning toward CA
>> > ezFirewall. I use and trust their anti-virus. Is there a reason I

>> shouldn'
>> > t? Is there a reason to choose ZoneAlarm over ezFirewall, other
>> > than

>> being
>> > free?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for your advice.

What are you talking about? The ICF on XP is a good as any third party
host based FW in stopping unsolicited inbound traffic to the machine.
However, ICF on XP cannot stop outbound traffic. That's why IPsec is on
the XP O/S that can stop outbound traffic to IP(s), port(s), protocol(s),
DNS(s), etc.

SP2 for XP which will be released later this year will be improving the
ICF on XP. Search Google on the XP SP2 write up.

the basics

http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm

more advanced

http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm

IMHO, the protection starts with the O/S and everything else is secondary
to it, including the FW, router, and AV.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

Duane

Me

Thank you.

news:Xns94774F061F02darnold92insightbbco@216.148.2 27.77...
> "Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:400e0d51$0$1755$(E-Mail Removed) u:
>
> > That wasn't worded very well. I should have said 'built-in'
> > accessories.
> >

> > "Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:400e0c26$0$1742$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> >> How effective is this built in firewall? I am always a bit sceptical
> >> when

> > it
> >> comes to 'built in' add on's.
> >>

> >> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:bul018$ktf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> and

> > in

> > 1,

> >> slow,

> > later

> >> firewall

> >> shouldn'
> >> being

> What are you talking about? The ICF on XP is a good as any third party
> host based FW in stopping unsolicited inbound traffic to the machine.
> However, ICF on XP cannot stop outbound traffic. That's why IPsec is on
> the XP O/S that can stop outbound traffic to IP(s), port(s), protocol(s),
> DNS(s), etc.
>
> SP2 for XP which will be released later this year will be improving the
> ICF on XP. Search Google on the XP SP2 write up.
>
> the basics
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm
>
> more advanced
>
> http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm
>
> IMHO, the protection starts with the O/S and everything else is secondary
> to it, including the FW, router, and AV.
>
> http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bul018$ktf$(E-Mail Removed):

> A hardware firewall is the best. It would go between the Ethernet
> card and the DSL modem. You can also put on a low cost router that
> has a built in firewall. I found that most of these firewall
> software's were a lot of problems, and used too many resources. If
> you have Windows XP with SP 1, there should be a built in firewall.

Yes, a hardware applince is the best. But a NAt router for home or home
office usage that may or may not be using SPI doen't have a real FW.

An appliance such as a WatchGuard appliance has a real FW that meets the
specs below.

http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...rewall_do.html

I use a cheap Linksys.

Duane