Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > What Determines When a Message on a NG is Deleted?

What Determines When a Message on a NG is Deleted?

Edge

Is there a standard time-out on all NG servers that delete a message after x
amount of time? Is there a way to delete a message after you've posted? I'm
running OE 5.5. The file delete command is grayed out on NGs.

TIA

DeMoN LaG

"Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:YWZOb.34909$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there a standard time-out on all NG servers that delete a message
> after x amount of time? Is there a way to delete a message after
> you've posted? I'm running OE 5.5. The file delete command is grayed
> out on NGs.

You can't delete a newsgroup message. They expire from the server when the
server's spool fills up (ie, it runs out of space). New messages move in
and replace the oldest, repeat forever.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Calvin Crumrine

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> "Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:YWZOb.34909$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Is there a standard time-out on all NG servers that delete a message
>>after x amount of time? Is there a way to delete a message after
>>you've posted? I'm running OE 5.5. The file delete command is grayed
>>out on NGs.

> You can't delete a newsgroup message. They expire from the server when the
> server's spool fills up (ie, it runs out of space). New messages move in
> and replace the oldest, repeat forever.

Don't some NG's also have an aging feature? It seems like I've heard
statements like "this NG keeps messages for 6 weeks". Or is that simply
a paraphrase of the actuality "this NG is allocated enough space for 6
weeks worth of expected messages"?

DeMoN LaG

Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:100qlvnom0bj6d9
@corp.supernews.com:

> Don't some NG's also have an aging feature? It seems like I've heard
> statements like "this NG keeps messages for 6 weeks". Or is that simply
> a paraphrase of the actuality "this NG is allocated enough space for 6
> weeks worth of expected messages"?

There is no aging. Usenet is decentralized, we all read and write from
different servers. Well, me and you are on the same server, Supernews, but
you get my point. Each server has different sized spools for different
things. Supernews' spools currently hold about 260 days of text retention,
35 to 40 days of binary group retention, and 10 to 15 days of multipart
binary retention (files posted in multiple parts, instead of one big post).
Depending on where you read that, it may be complete crap. No person can
post that and be right about it. Some servers (like those run by ISPs
themselves instead of outsourcing) usually get like 5 days of text
retention and 6 to 12 hours of binary retention. Supernews or Giganews
will give you over 30 weeks of text retention.

--

DeMoN LaG wrote:
> Calvin Crumrine <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:100qlvnom0bj6d9
> @corp.supernews.com:
>

>>Don't some NG's also have an aging feature? It seems like I've heard
>>statements like "this NG keeps messages for 6 weeks". Or is that simply
>>a paraphrase of the actuality "this NG is allocated enough space for 6
>>weeks worth of expected messages"?

> There is no aging. Usenet is decentralized, we all read and write from
> different servers. Well, me and you are on the same server, Supernews, but
> you get my point. Each server has different sized spools for different
> things. Supernews' spools currently hold about 260 days of text retention,
> 35 to 40 days of binary group retention, and 10 to 15 days of multipart
> binary retention (files posted in multiple parts, instead of one big post).
> Depending on where you read that, it may be complete crap. No person can
> post that and be right about it. Some servers (like those run by ISPs
> themselves instead of outsourcing) usually get like 5 days of text
> retention and 6 to 12 hours of binary retention. Supernews or Giganews
> will give you over 30 weeks of text retention.

And now that you remind me I do recall that whereever it was that I read
it it was talking about only the messages retained on that server, not
actually about the NG.

But thanks for clearing it up.

-------> Ian

DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

>You can't delete a newsgroup message.

Yes you can... I have done many times... It doesn't get deleted from
things like Google though. You can post a "Cancel Usenet Message". I
don't know how to do it from Outlook Express, but it's straightforward
with Agent.

Trent©

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:41:44 GMT, "Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a standard time-out on all NG servers that delete a message after x
>amount of time?

Yes...and it varies by news provider...and by the type of group.

Some providers purge after a couple of weeks...some after a coupla
months. And binary messages are generally purged more often than text
messages.

>Is there a way to delete a message after you've posted?

Yes...thru yer news reader. I'm not sure if this option is available
in OE...but I would think it is. Its available in Agent.

> I'm
>running OE 5.5. The file delete command is grayed out on NGs.

You can only delete a message that you posted. You can't delete
someone else's post. That option will be grayed out if its not your
post.

Besides that, I think its also dependent on the news provider. Not
all providers will let you delete messages...so I'm told. However,
many will.

You might want to check with AT&T on their policy.

Have a nice week...

Trent

If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

Thor

"Calvin Crumrine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DeMoN LaG wrote:
> > "Edge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:YWZOb.34909$(E-Mail Removed):
> >

> >>Is there a standard time-out on all NG servers that delete a message
> >>after x amount of time? Is there a way to delete a message after
> >>you've posted? I'm running OE 5.5. The file delete command is grayed
> >>out on NGs.

> > You can't delete a newsgroup message. They expire from the server when

the
> > server's spool fills up (ie, it runs out of space). New messages move

in
> > and replace the oldest, repeat forever.
> >

> Don't some NG's also have an aging feature? It seems like I've heard
> statements like "this NG keeps messages for 6 weeks". Or is that simply
> a paraphrase of the actuality "this NG is allocated enough space for 6
> weeks worth of expected messages"?

It's entirely up to the individual servers and the settings their admins
use. No newsgroup has control over article retention. Admins of a particular
Usenet server may set up individual expiration settings for certain
newsgroups though.

DeMoN LaG

"-------> Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Yes you can... I have done many times... It doesn't get deleted from
> things like Google though. You can post a "Cancel Usenet Message". I
> don't know how to do it from Outlook Express, but it's straightforward
> with Agent.

A) Cancel and delete are two different things
B) Almost all decently run news servers (Giganews, Supernews, Easynews,
Octanews, sharedsecrets) do not honor cancels. Cancels are easy to forge,
I can send a cancel for every message in this group in a matter of minutes.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
email/IM for rates/services

DeMoN LaG

Trent© <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> You can only delete a message that you posted. You can't delete
> someone else's post. That option will be grayed out if its not your
> post.

Not true at all. I can send a cancel for your message if I want.