Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Formatting a Slave HDD

Formatting a Slave HDD

Joe

I have two hdds (C and D) in one machine. I want to remove one of them (D)
to install a bigger one. I will then sell the old one. I am trying to format
the hdd (D) in safe mode but I keep getting an error "Windows Was Unable To
Complete The Format". I am reluctant to do it any other way as I will
probably eff it up and format C.
How can I do this?
Running XP Pro

???

Why are you doing this in safe mode? You go into control panel, go into
administrative tools. go to computer management, then go to disk management.
From here you select the new D Drive, partition the drive and format. Thats
it.

Joe

When I try that it says that the drive is being used and it won't let me
format.
"???" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why are you doing this in safe mode? You go into control panel, go into
> administrative tools. go to computer management, then go to disk

management.
> From here you select the new D Drive, partition the drive and format.

Thats
> it.

???

I think I see what is happening., the drive you are attempting to format, is
this the old drive? If so, what do you have on this drive now? You may have
the drive setup as a scratch disk, a system swap drive, or a program is
installed on this drive, rather than the C Drive.

If you are going to keep the old data, I would get a copy of norton ghost
and clone to old drive to the new. After it is cloned, put the new drive in
the D and put the old D drive in as the E drive. Now you can format the E
drive (old hard drive) with no problems.

mark mandel

> I have two hdds (C and D) in one machine. I want to remove one of them (D)
> to install a bigger one. I will then sell the old one. I am trying to

format
> the hdd (D) in safe mode but I keep getting an error "Windows Was Unable

> Complete The Format". I am reluctant to do it any other way as I will
> probably eff it up and format C.
> How can I do this?
> Running XP Pro

Using the Recovery Console command to format might work. Have you also
tried that?

Joe

I was able to get it to work. I restarted the machine and tried to do it as
suggested under Disk Management. That worked. Thanks for the input.
news:jYYOb.17894$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...