Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Gain Spyware/Adware Software

Gain Spyware/Adware Software

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
kinserlow at hotmail dot com
homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

mcp6453

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:

> I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
> Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
> URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
> investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
> downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
> but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
> busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
> know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
> do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove Programs?

NoOne

Looks like if you want to get rid of it you'll have to uninstall the divx
application.
From the Gain website:
Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?

A. While you cannot uninstall GAIN AdServer software (i.e. the software that
delivers GAIN Network ads) directly, you can uninstall any/all GAIN
supported applications at any time by using the Add/Remove Programs list.
Once you have uninstalled all GAIN supported applications, GAIN AdServer
software is designed to stop delivering advertising, and self uninstall.

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
> >
> > I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
> > Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
> > URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
> > investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
> > downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
> > but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
> > busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
> > know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
> > do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

> Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove Programs?

NoOne

Looks like if you want to get rid of it you'll have to uninstall the divx
application.
From the Gain website:
Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?

A. While you cannot uninstall GAIN AdServer software (i.e. the software that
delivers GAIN Network ads) directly, you can uninstall any/all GAIN
supported applications at any time by using the Add/Remove Programs list.
Once you have uninstalled all GAIN supported applications, GAIN AdServer
software is designed to stop delivering advertising, and self uninstall.

"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
> >
> > I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
> > Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
> > URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
> > investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
> > downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
> > but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
> > busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
> > know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
> > do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

> Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove Programs?

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:12:12 -0500, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
>>
>> I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
>> Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
>> URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
>> investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
>> downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
>> but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
>> busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
>> know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
>> do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

>Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove Programs?

No, Gain is not in the Add/Remove Programs.

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:55:33 GMT, "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Looks like if you want to get rid of it you'll have to uninstall the divx
>application.
>From the Gain website:
>Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?
>
>A. While you cannot uninstall GAIN AdServer software (i.e. the software that
>delivers GAIN Network ads) directly, you can uninstall any/all GAIN
>supported applications at any time by using the Add/Remove Programs list.
>Once you have uninstalled all GAIN supported applications, GAIN AdServer
>software is designed to stop delivering advertising, and self uninstall.
>

>"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
>> >
>> > I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
>> > Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
>> > URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
>> > investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
>> > downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
>> > but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
>> > busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
>> > know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
>> > do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

>> Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove Programs?

I'm trying to get around uninstalling the DivX package. Spyware
buster programs will ordinarily do this for you, but Gain Adserver
apparently hasn't been put into the updates.

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
kinserlow at hotmail dot com
homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

Thor

"Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:55:33 GMT, "NoOne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Looks like if you want to get rid of it you'll have to uninstall the divx
> >application.
> >From the Gain website:
> >Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?
> >
> >A. While you cannot uninstall GAIN AdServer software (i.e. the software

that
> >delivers GAIN Network ads) directly, you can uninstall any/all GAIN
> >supported applications at any time by using the Add/Remove Programs list.
> >Once you have uninstalled all GAIN supported applications, GAIN AdServer
> >software is designed to stop delivering advertising, and self uninstall.
> >

> >"mcp6453" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove

Programs?

> I'm trying to get around uninstalling the DivX package. Spyware
> buster programs will ordinarily do this for you, but Gain Adserver
> apparently hasn't been put into the updates.

Even if a spyware removal application such as Spybot or Adaware adds the
detection routine necessary to remove the offending program, you must
realize that it could very well cause your DivX package to be crippled in
some way. I'm sure that the support to remove Gain will be added eventually,
just keep checking the updates for each program, and run them each time
there is an update. Just be prepared for negative consequences.