Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > question re: Office 2000 and windows XP

question re: Office 2000 and windows XP

quiet_table

Hello all,

I'm trying to install office 2000 on my new machine, which runs winXP
home edition. It's the same disk I used to install it on my old
machine, which ran win98se. The problem is that the disc will not run
- both cd-rom drives fail to recognize it! Is there some kind of
incompatibility here, or am I missing something? After loading the cd
in either of the drives, it does not auto-run, and when I double-click
on the cd-rom drive, it stops responding. Is it just a problem with
the cd? I would think that office 2000 would work with winXP. Thanks
for any help you can offer.

Chris

Wizard

The problem is not with Office 2000

quiet_table wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to install office 2000 on my new machine, which runs winXP
> home edition. It's the same disk I used to install it on my old
> machine, which ran win98se. The problem is that the disc will not run
> - both cd-rom drives fail to recognize it! Is there some kind of
> incompatibility here, or am I missing something? After loading the cd
> in either of the drives, it does not auto-run, and when I double-click
> on the cd-rom drive, it stops responding. Is it just a problem with
> the cd? I would think that office 2000 would work with winXP. Thanks
> for any help you can offer.
>
> Chris

Thor

I'd say something is probably wrong with the CD. Win2K works fine on XP.

"quiet_table" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to install office 2000 on my new machine, which runs winXP
> home edition. It's the same disk I used to install it on my old
> machine, which ran win98se. The problem is that the disc will not run
> - both cd-rom drives fail to recognize it! Is there some kind of
> incompatibility here, or am I missing something? After loading the cd
> in either of the drives, it does not auto-run, and when I double-click
> on the cd-rom drive, it stops responding. Is it just a problem with
> the cd? I would think that office 2000 would work with winXP. Thanks
> for any help you can offer.
>
> Chris

Thor

news:400a8f38$0$2463$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd say something is probably wrong with the CD. Win2K works fine on XP.

Of course, that should have read, "Office2K works fine with XP".

quiet_table

On 18 Jan 2004 08:00:35 -0600, "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:400a8f38$0$2463$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'd say something is probably wrong with the CD. Win2K works fine on XP.

>Of course, that should have read, "Office2K works fine with XP".

Yes, it appears to be the cd-rom, as I've installed other software
(printer, web cam) on the computer via cd without any problems. The
office 2K cd is quite scratched (it belongs to a friend of mine), so
maybe I'll have to get hime to burn me a "fresh" copy that'll read in
this rig. Thanks for the advice - glad to know that office 2K will
work on win XP (glad I don't have to shell out for office 2K3).

Chris