Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Another monitor question.

Another monitor question.

jeh

On a Compaq running Windows 98 SE, Celeron, (my Mom's computer), the
monitor goes black after about 10 minutes, whether it's being used or not at
the time. Moving the mouse or using the keyboard, or nothing else she does
will bring it back--she has to re-boot for the monitor to come back on, then
it will do it again.
If left alone when this happens, the screen saver will come on, and then
she can move the mouse and the monitor will come back on--like the power
saver function would. I've set the power saving function, system standby,
turn off monitor, etc. to "never" and it still does this.
Does anyone have any ideas why this happens.
Thanks.

Swift

Did you check the setting in the BIOS for power saving? I know that
when I was running 98SE it was doing the same thing, and I changed the
bios setting and it stopped doing it.

Swift

jeh wrote:
> On a Compaq running Windows 98 SE, Celeron, (my Mom's computer), the
> monitor goes black after about 10 minutes, whether it's being used or not at
> the time. Moving the mouse or using the keyboard, or nothing else she does
> will bring it back--she has to re-boot for the monitor to come back on, then
> it will do it again.
> If left alone when this happens, the screen saver will come on, and then
> she can move the mouse and the monitor will come back on--like the power
> saver function would. I've set the power saving function, system standby,
> turn off monitor, etc. to "never" and it still does this.
> Does anyone have any ideas why this happens.
> Thanks.

mike

Advanced power under windows 98 is questionable at best If I were you I
would disable it so the system is always on.use a good screen saver or
better yet no screensaver and turn your monitor off when you are not using
it try this and see if it helps
"Swift" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Did you check the setting in the BIOS for power saving? I know that
> when I was running 98SE it was doing the same thing, and I changed the
> bios setting and it stopped doing it.
>
> Swift
>
> jeh wrote:
> > On a Compaq running Windows 98 SE, Celeron, (my Mom's computer), the
> > monitor goes black after about 10 minutes, whether it's being used or

not at
> > the time. Moving the mouse or using the keyboard, or nothing else she

does
> > will bring it back--she has to re-boot for the monitor to come back on,

then
> > it will do it again.
> > If left alone when this happens, the screen saver will come on, and

then
> > she can move the mouse and the monitor will come back on--like the power
> > saver function would. I've set the power saving function, system

standby,
> > turn off monitor, etc. to "never" and it still does this.
> > Does anyone have any ideas why this happens.
> > Thanks.

jeh

Well I finally got over to try to get in the BIOS on her computer. Turns
out that this Compaq has a very limited setup--no access into the BIOS at
all that I could see. About all I could do was to refresh the default
settings, unless there is some other option that I am not seeing. Thanks
anyway.

news:rpjOb.2914$(E-Mail Removed)...