Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > DOS to Windows Networking

DOS to Windows Networking

mcp6453

Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
Windows networking?

DeMoN LaG

mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
> Windows networking?

I don't have an answer, but can I ask why?

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

mcp6453

DeMoN LaG wrote:

> mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
> > Windows networking?
> >

> I don't have an answer, but can I ask why?

Partly out of curiosity, but also because a simple file server on a P2P
network doesn't need any smarts. A DOS-only server would be faster and
more reliable than a 98 or 2000 machine, I'd bet.

derek / nul

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:35:08 -0500, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
>Windows networking?

Yes, using win3.11 as the base.
Why not linux?

mcp6453

derek / nul wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:35:08 -0500, mcp6453 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to build a file server with DOS that is accessible with
> >Windows networking?

> Yes, using win3.11 as the base.
> Why not linux?

One day I will learn Linux. It is definitely a goal. However, my first
experience was not a good one. Never could get the right drivers for my
video card. Moreover, I didn't know what Samba was and still don't
really know.