Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Programs spontaneously closing down

Programs spontaneously closing down

Mike the Kiwi

Hi,

I very recently formatted my HDD & reinstalled everything because of the problem below, but it's still happening and lately
whenever I use a browser (i.e. IE (mainly), Opera 7, MSN Explorer) I have whichever open between like 20 seconds and say 5 minutes
and then I get the message that the current browser has encountered an error and will now close. The same thing has happened using
ICQ.
What gives??
Does anybody have any clues as to what's going on and/or how to fix the problem?

All help is appreciated
Cheers
Mike the Kiwi

Thor

Try disabling any non-essential background tasks. And try updating your
video drivers. Many IE lockup issues can be tied to video driver problems.
Next time you reinstall, instead of reformatting and "reinstalling
everything", just resinstall the basic operating system and device drivers
with IE. Then test the browser and see if the bahavior returns without all
the other software installed. If it runs normally, it could be nothing more
than a conflict with something else running on your system.

"Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I very recently formatted my HDD & reinstalled everything because of the

problem below, but it's still happening and lately
> whenever I use a browser (i.e. IE (mainly), Opera 7, MSN Explorer) I have

whichever open between like 20 seconds and say 5 minutes
> and then I get the message that the current browser has encountered an

error and will now close. The same thing has happened using
> ICQ.
> What gives??
> Does anybody have any clues as to what's going on and/or how to fix the

problem?

> All help is appreciated
> Cheers
> Mike the Kiwi

Mike the Kiwi

Turning off Error Reporting didn't stop the problem at all, the programs still spontaneously close on me but now with no warning
at all.

"Askhow.net" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ZHSNb.48502$(E-Mail Removed) .cable.rogers.com...
> You could just turn off error reporting. Must error are non life
> threatening and you could leave the option for critical errors on or turn
> off error reporting for each problem Aplication.
>
> I think this would be better than reformat or reinstall
> Hope this works it's one of the first things I do after installing XP on
> anyones system
>
> To enable or disable error reporting
>
> 1.. Open System in Control Panel.
> 2.. On the Advanced tab, click Error Reporting.
> 3.. Click Disable error reporting or Enable error reporting.
> Notes
>
> a.. To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, and then
> double-click System.
> b.. If you disable error reporting, you can still have Windows notify you
> when an error occurs. To do so, select the But notify me when critical
> errors occur check box.
> c.. To report operating system errors, select the Windows operating system
> check box.
> d.. To report program errors for programs, such as Microsoft Word, select
> the Programs check box.
>

> Jaks http://www.askhow.net
> Free Support Forums
>
> "Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I very recently formatted my HDD & reinstalled everything because of the

> problem below, but it's still happening and lately
> > whenever I use a browser (i.e. IE (mainly), Opera 7, MSN Explorer) I have

> whichever open between like 20 seconds and say 5 minutes
> > and then I get the message that the current browser has encountered an

> error and will now close. The same thing has happened using
> > ICQ.
> > What gives??
> > Does anybody have any clues as to what's going on and/or how to fix the

> problem?
> >
> > All help is appreciated
> > Cheers
> > Mike the Kiwi

Swift

Mike, what OS are you using?

Swift

mark mandel

"Mike the Kiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I very recently formatted my HDD & reinstalled everything because of the

problem below, but it's still happening and lately
> whenever I use a browser (i.e. IE (mainly), Opera 7, MSN Explorer) I have

whichever open between like 20 seconds and say 5 minutes
> and then I get the message that the current browser has encountered an

error and will now close. The same thing has happened using
> ICQ.
> What gives??
> Does anybody have any clues as to what's going on and/or how to fix the

problem?

> All help is appreciated
> Cheers
> Mike the Kiwi

Might be due to trojans or other malware. Get the program "Spybot Search
and Destroy" and run it. Another is "Hijack This". However, this one
requires that you log the result on here or another site and that some
"spyware savvy" tech recognize the bad stuff.

Mark Mandell