Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > question re: data recovery on a (possibly) toasted pc, part 1

question re: data recovery on a (possibly) toasted pc, part 1

quiet_table

Hello all,

I've been trying to post this message, but it won't go. I managed to
post a test message, so I'm gonna post this in several parts. I
appreciate your patience.

My old computer is a 4 year old compaq presario, win98se, 466mhz, 192
ram, 80GB hard drive. The hard drive is a mxtor that I successfully
installed in 2002. For the last few months I had been getting the
dreaded "may have developed bad sectors" meassgae on startup. After
being on for a few weeks straight, one day IE6 refused to open.
Thinking that it was simply time to reboot, that's what I did. And
that's when the trouble started.

mark mandel

"quiet_table" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> I've been trying to post this message, but it won't go. I managed to
> post a test message, so I'm gonna post this in several parts. I
> appreciate your patience.
>
> My old computer is a 4 year old compaq presario, win98se, 466mhz, 192
> ram, 80GB hard drive. The hard drive is a mxtor that I successfully
> installed in 2002. For the last few months I had been getting the
> dreaded "may have developed bad sectors" meassgae on startup. After
> being on for a few weeks straight, one day IE6 refused to open.
> Thinking that it was simply time to reboot, that's what I did. And
> that's when the trouble started.

Then you should run Scandisk with the option to do a "thorough" check. You
could also visit the website of the hard drive maker and run a diagnostic
test from their options.

Mark Mandell