Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Floppyless PC

Floppyless PC

picopir8

I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD writer (and
perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze still reserve A and B
drive letters for floppies or will it allow me to use those how I please?
(ie make optical drives A and B)

Night_Seer

picopir8 wrote:
> I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD
> writer (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze
> still reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow me
> to use those how I please? (ie make optical drives A and B)

A and B is for floppies...

--
Night_Seer

Livewire

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Night_Seer"
<ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> says...
> picopir8 wrote:
> > I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD
> > writer (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze
> > still reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow me
> > to use those how I please? (ie make optical drives A and B)

> A and B is for floppies...

If you don't have a floppy, it might be worth downloa useful freeware
Ultimate Boot CD.

It contains lots of programs - eg diagnostics, partition tools etc --
that usually need a floppy to load from.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

DeMoN LaG

"picopir8" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:400628fb$(E-Mail Removed):

> I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD writer
> (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze still
> reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow me to use
> those how I please?

Drives A: and B: are reserved for floppy disks, no exceptions.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

Andrew Watiker

I one time tried to assign a memory card slot drive letter B: (using
diskpart from the command line). It worked okay sometimes, other times not
at all, and other times it would call it a floppy but read from the memory
card. It was really screwy. This was using XP Home.
"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "picopir8" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:400628fb$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD writer
> > (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze still
> > reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow me to use
> > those how I please?

> Drives A: and B: are reserved for floppy disks, no exceptions.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

Night_Seer

Andrew Watiker wrote:
> I one time tried to assign a memory card slot drive letter B: (using
> diskpart from the command line). It worked okay sometimes, other
> times not at all, and other times it would call it a floppy but read
> from the memory card. It was really screwy. This was using XP Home.
> "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
>> "picopir8" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:400628fb$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD
>>> writer (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze
>>> still reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow
>>> me to use those how I please?

>> Drives A: and B: are reserved for floppy disks, no exceptions.
>>
>> --
>> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
>> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
>> website: under construction
>> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
>> email/IM for rates/services

I had the same problem with a ZIp drive on an IDE. It showed up as a
floppy (B) and always acted strange, even though it worked fine as a
zip.

--
Night_Seer