Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Which Printer?

Which Printer?

John

Hello.

I'm looking at getting a new photo inkjet printer and just wondered
what your opinion is for what are the best at the moment to consider?

I am looking for something that will give me excellent quality colour
photos (6x4" + 8x6") , as well as being able to print onto CD-Rs, and
your usual A4 printing. I'm also looking for something were the ink
doesn't cost the world.

As far as price goes, I don't want to go higher than about £200 tops.
(about $350 US I think)

Thanks for your suggestions.

John

Night_Seer

John wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm looking at getting a new photo inkjet printer and just wondered
> what your opinion is for what are the best at the moment to consider?
>
> I am looking for something that will give me excellent quality colour
> photos (6x4" + 8x6") , as well as being able to print onto CD-Rs, and
> your usual A4 printing. I'm also looking for something were the ink
> doesn't cost the world.
>
> As far as price goes, I don't want to go higher than about £200 tops.
> (about $350 US I think)
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> John

I personally have an Epson Stylus Photo R300, and I love it (there
is a R300M version that comes with an LCD screen, for true no computer
printing). It does everything your looking for (including printing to
injet printable CD's). It also has a 6 in 1 card reader built in. I
have printed plenty of 4x6 photos, and it integrates nicely with my
Epson Precision scanner. It uses 6 colors, for better colors in prints
and cheaper cartridges (about 12 to 13 dollars each). Others here have
recomended HP's, and though I haven't used one personally at home, at
work we have a large format HP printer that works great, and I would
assume that quality would carry over to smaller models. I still haven't
seen an HP that prints CD's though, but I haven't really been looking
anymore.

--
Night_Seer

???

When looking at printers there are a couple of things to keep in mind. I
would only get a printer with individual inks. Never get a printer with a
black cartridge an a color cartridge. If you run out of cyan you would have
to toss all the colors even if they are full. The really good color printers
will have cyan,magenta,yellow,photo cyan,photo magenta,photo yellow, and
black. I would also look ta the printer cartidges, do they have heads built
into the cartridge? If so, then that is another big plus. The print will
only be as good as the head, if the head gets a plugged jet then all the
prints will suffer.I do like epson but I really like canon.

When you get a printer, never and I mean never, let the printer sit for
extended periods of time without printing. The ink will dry out in the heads
making it almost impossible to clean. I usually print a self test page every
week or so (two max).

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello.
>
> I'm looking at getting a new photo inkjet printer and just wondered
> what your opinion is for what are the best at the moment to consider?
>
> I am looking for something that will give me excellent quality colour
> photos (6x4" + 8x6") , as well as being able to print onto CD-Rs, and
> your usual A4 printing. I'm also looking for something were the ink
> doesn't cost the world.
>
> As far as price goes, I don't want to go higher than about £200 tops.
> (about $350 US I think)
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> John

Wizard

Always HP. The most reliable and you get new jets with each ink
cartridge

John wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm looking at getting a new photo inkjet printer and just wondered
> what your opinion is for what are the best at the moment to consider?
>
> I am looking for something that will give me excellent quality colour
> photos (6x4" + 8x6") , as well as being able to print onto CD-Rs, and
> your usual A4 printing. I'm also looking for something were the ink
> doesn't cost the world.
>
> As far as price goes, I don't want to go higher than about £200 tops.
> (about $350 US I think)
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> John

chuckie®

Personally, I prefer HP, however, my daughter is stuck on Epson. Therefore, I would say both are
probably quite good for your purposes. All you need to do is find one that fits your specific needs
and price...luck...

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello.
>
> I'm looking at getting a new photo inkjet printer and just wondered
> what your opinion is for what are the best at the moment to consider?
>
> I am looking for something that will give me excellent quality colour
> photos (6x4" + 8x6") , as well as being able to print onto CD-Rs, and
> your usual A4 printing. I'm also looking for something were the ink
> doesn't cost the world.
>
> As far as price goes, I don't want to go higher than about £200 tops.
> (about $350 US I think)
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> John

Trent©

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:22:01 +0000, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I'm looking at getting a new photo inkjet printer and just wondered
>what your opinion is for what are the best at the moment to consider?
>
>I am looking for something that will give me excellent quality colour
>photos (6x4" + 8x6") , as well as being able to print onto CD-Rs, and
>your usual A4 printing. I'm also looking for something were the ink
>doesn't cost the world.
>
>As far as price goes, I don't want to go higher than about £200 tops.
>(about $350 US I think)
>
>Thanks for your suggestions.
>
>John

Canon.

Have a nice week...

Trent

John

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

In the past I've used HP and Canon inkjets, however I've always wanted
to get an Epson because I thought the specs always seem to be the
best.

I did a little research and read a couple of documents at Toms
Hardware as well as other places, and compared several different
printers, and the general gist that I got was that Canon are the best
at the moment, well for the printer price range I was looking at
anyway.

The main points I picked up on all three printers were as follows:

HP:

+ Best aesthetically, quiet printing. Great print resolutions.

- Ink carts more expensive than Canon and Epson.

Canon:

+ Very Fast printing times, cheapest ink of all three. Quiet printing.
Prints on CDRs.

- Not as good looking aesthetically. Ink bleeds.

Epson:

+ Best for Photos. Ink comes out dry and doesn't smudge. Cheap ink
carts. Prints on CDRs.

- Default printing mode quality is poor. When quality is increased to
match same standards as Canon and HP default modes, printing speeds
work out really slow. A noisy printer. Will tell you ink has run out
halfway through a job when there is still plenty left, and it wont let
you resume the job even if you put a new cart in.

Well I've been most critical of the Epson going on what I've read,
however the big factor for me though is the ability to print direct
onto CDRs, as well as having the ink come out dry and not smudging. I
also would like to print top quality photos. It looks like I will be
going with Epson at the moment even though I'd prefer a quieter
printer. The Canon would sound like the best bet though for me if it
wasn't for the ink bleeding into the paper, and the HP is just out of
the question going by the overall cost charts I've seen.

I was going to go for the Stylus Photo 950, but I think the R300M
looks fantastic, costs less, and is just as good, so I might end up
going with that one now instead.

John

Night_Seer

John wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
>
> In the past I've used HP and Canon inkjets, however I've always wanted
> to get an Epson because I thought the specs always seem to be the
> best.
>
> I did a little research and read a couple of documents at Toms
> Hardware as well as other places, and compared several different
> printers, and the general gist that I got was that Canon are the best
> at the moment, well for the printer price range I was looking at
> anyway.
>
> The main points I picked up on all three printers were as follows:
>
> HP:
>
> + Best aesthetically, quiet printing. Great print resolutions.
>
> - Ink carts more expensive than Canon and Epson.
>
> Canon:
>
> + Very Fast printing times, cheapest ink of all three. Quiet printing.
> Prints on CDRs.
>
> - Not as good looking aesthetically. Ink bleeds.
>
> Epson:
>
> + Best for Photos. Ink comes out dry and doesn't smudge. Cheap ink
> carts. Prints on CDRs.
>
> - Default printing mode quality is poor. When quality is increased to
> match same standards as Canon and HP default modes, printing speeds
> work out really slow. A noisy printer. Will tell you ink has run out
> halfway through a job when there is still plenty left, and it wont let
> you resume the job even if you put a new cart in.
>
> Well I've been most critical of the Epson going on what I've read,
> however the big factor for me though is the ability to print direct
> onto CDRs, as well as having the ink come out dry and not smudging. I
> also would like to print top quality photos. It looks like I will be
> going with Epson at the moment even though I'd prefer a quieter
> printer. The Canon would sound like the best bet though for me if it
> wasn't for the ink bleeding into the paper, and the HP is just out of
> the question going by the overall cost charts I've seen.
>
> I was going to go for the Stylus Photo 950, but I think the R300M
> looks fantastic, costs less, and is just as good, so I might end up
> going with that one now instead.
>
> John

That's the one I suggested. I haven't seen an actual review on Tom's
hardware of the R300, but I know exactly which review you are referring
to, and I seem to remember it being for a lower model than the R300.
This sucker is very quiet, seems to print nice at regular output (though
I don't get as thorough as Tom does), and I haven't gotten to the bottom
of my ink yet, but so far no problems. The printer would be even
cheaper without the "M" which refers to a 100 dollar LCD screen added on
to the printer to allow you to print from memory cards or cameras, and
see them on the screen.

--
Night_Seer