Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard drive diagnostics

Hard drive diagnostics

V W Wall

Seagate has a hard drive diagnostic program that fits on a 1.44 floppy.
It's designed mainly for Seagate drives, but includes a generic test
for other makes. It checked a WD drive that I had replaced with a new
Seagate 80GB and set up as slave. It reported the FAT32 partition left
from the original Win98 installation as well as two Linux partitions and
a Linux swap partition I added for RH Linux 9. I've found few drive check
programs that will do this. It also has a surface test program that I
haven't yet tried. (The quick test showed OK.)

You can download seatoold.exe from the Seagate site. It makes a 1.44
floppy when executed. The test results are written to the floppy when
the program is used. Seems like a useful program to have in the tool kit.
It is supposed to work with NTFS as well as FAT. I know it does Linux!

The floppy isn't dead yet!

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........

Plato

V W Wall wrote:

A buddy who works in sales for a USB floppy maker sent me some stats re:
standard 1.44s

The number sold [standard drives] each year is still on the rise. USB
floppy drive sales keep going up each year also.

bambam

V W Wall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Seagate has a hard drive diagnostic program that fits on a 1.44
> floppy. It's designed mainly for Seagate drives, but includes a
> generic test for other makes. It checked a WD drive that I had
> replaced with a new Seagate 80GB and set up as slave. It reported
> the FAT32 partition left from the original Win98 installation as
> well as two Linux partitions and a Linux swap partition I added
> for RH Linux 9. I've found few drive check programs that will do
> this. It also has a surface test program that I haven't yet
> tried. (The quick test showed OK.)
>
> You can download seatoold.exe from the Seagate site. It makes a
> 1.44 floppy when executed. The test results are written to the
> floppy when the program is used. Seems like a useful program to
> have in the tool kit. It is supposed to work with NTFS as well as
> FAT. I know it does Linux!
>
> The floppy isn't dead yet!

I wouldn't bet on it Virg, just downloaded this yesterday, and it
includes Saegate Tools-

<paste>

Ultimate Boot CD Ver 2.1

Overview

You need the Ultimate Boot CD if you want to:

* Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives. More and
more PCs are shipped without floppy drives these days, and it is such
a royal pain when you need to run diagnostic tools on them.

* Free yourself from the slow loading speed of the floppy drive.
Even if you do have a floppy drive, it is still much much faster to
run your diagnostic tools from the CDROM drive, rather than wait for
the tool to load from the floppy drive.

* Consolidate as many diagnostic tools as possible into one
bootable CD. Wouldn't you like to avoid digging into the dusty box to
look for the right floppy disk, but simply run them all from a single
CD? Then the Ultimate Boot CD is for you!

<paste>

I know everyone can't boot from a CD, but most can.

--
Avoid parking tickets by leaving your windshield wipers turned to
fast wipe whenever you leave your car parked illegally.

V W Wall

Wonder where it writes the reports----

> <paste>
>
> Ultimate Boot CD Ver 2.1
>
> Overview
>
> You need the Ultimate Boot CD if you want to:
>
> * Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives. More and
> more PCs are shipped without floppy drives these days, and it is such
> a royal pain when you need to run diagnostic tools on them.
>
> * Free yourself from the slow loading speed of the floppy drive.
> Even if you do have a floppy drive, it is still much much faster to
> run your diagnostic tools from the CDROM drive, rather than wait for
> the tool to load from the floppy drive.
>
> * Consolidate as many diagnostic tools as possible into one
> bootable CD. Wouldn't you like to avoid digging into the dusty box to
> look for the right floppy disk, but simply run them all from a single
> CD? Then the Ultimate Boot CD is for you!
>
> <paste>
>
> I know everyone can't boot from a CD, but most can.

Actually you can create the floppy from the CD that comes with
the Seagate drive.

You'd have to have CDRW, since the program writes the test log to
the floppy. Besides, 1.44 floppies fit in the pocket better!
With the new USB solid state drives you could put everything on there.

Virg Wall

bambam

bambam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:775Mb.16689$(E-Mail Removed):

> V W Wall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> The floppy isn't dead yet!

> I wouldn't bet on it Virg, just downloaded this yesterday, and it
> includes Saegate Tools-

Sorry, here is the link-

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

--

bambam wrote:

> bambam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:775Mb.16689$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > V W Wall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:(E-Mail Removed):

> >> The floppy isn't dead yet!

> > I wouldn't bet on it Virg, just downloaded this yesterday, and it
> > includes Saegate Tools-

> Sorry, here is the link-
>
> http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Have a look here-

http://www.seagate.com/support/seato...toold_reg.html

Seagate has come up with another version V 2.00.13zh which is available
as an .iso for a CD. Maybe that will tell us where the test results go.
The author of the ultimatebootcd says he has been unable to get the
new version to work.

Virg Wall

bambam

V W Wall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> I wouldn't bet on it Virg, just downloaded this yesterday, and it
>> includes Saegate Tools-

> Wonder where it writes the reports----

I just ran Seagate Tools from the Ultimate Boot CD.
After running a scan, then exiting the program I copied the two log
files [Seagate.log & Advlog.txt] from an a:\ prompt to my HDD. So the
reports are written to the virtual a:drive, you just have to copy them
before you reboot or they are lost.

--
Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

V W Wall

bambam wrote:

> V W Wall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> >> I wouldn't bet on it Virg, just downloaded this yesterday, and it
> >> includes Saegate Tools-

> > Wonder where it writes the reports----

> I just ran Seagate Tools from the Ultimate Boot CD.
> After running a scan, then exiting the program I copied the two log
> files [Seagate.log & Advlog.txt] from an a:\ prompt to my HDD. So the
> reports are written to the virtual a:drive, you just have to copy them
> before you reboot or they are lost.

I just dl'd the new SeagateTools V 2.00 that makes two floppies. This
is the version that has problems on "ultimatecd". It indeed writes the
files to a virtual drive, G:\ in my case. (C:-F: are my drives.)

It takes two drives simply because all the files won't fit on one
1.44 floppy. It still uses DR-DOS, but is set so it'll boot regardless
of which of the two drives are inserted. No wonder "ultimatecd" has
troubles with it! As I understand that CD, it's mainly a menu letting
you pick which "image" on it will be used to boot the PC. I think
a little editing would solve the problem. Of course the EULA says
you can't do that. ;-(

As usual with "improvements", this one has troubles. It no longer
recognizes Linux partitions, and when using the "Write Report to Disk",
it wrote to my B:\ drive. I'm probably unique in having identical
1.44 A: and B: drives, but it's bad manners to do that. It doesn't
seen to have a pint spooler, so printing from within the program
happens a line at a time, with a few second wait between. When using
"copy current.log > prn", from the virtual drive it prints rapidly.

Still looks like a useful program. It doesn't mention NTFS any more.
Anybody tried it with other than FAT? I know it doesn't do Linux now.

Virg Wall

Trent©

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:52:55 GMT, V W Wall <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Seagate has a hard drive diagnostic program that fits on a 1.44 floppy.

I just tried the 2-disc version, Virg.

>It's designed mainly for Seagate drives, but includes a generic test
>for other makes. It checked a WD drive that I had replaced with a new
>Seagate 80GB and set up as slave. It reported the FAT32 partition left
>from the original Win98 installation as well as two Linux partitions and
>a Linux swap partition I added for RH Linux 9. I've found few drive check
>programs that will do this. It also has a surface test program that I
>haven't yet tried. (The quick test showed OK.)

My version didn't show partitions...it only showed drives.

>You can download seatoold.exe from the Seagate site. It makes a 1.44
>floppy when executed.

As yo said...the new version makes 2 discs. I don't understand
why...as they could easily just compressed the files and uncompressed
them into the virtual drive that it creates.

>The test results are written to the floppy when
>the program is used. Seems like a useful program to have in the tool kit.
>It is supposed to work with NTFS as well as FAT. I know it does Linux!

It doesn't check the NTFS file system, Virg.

Have a nice week...

Trent

If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese!

V W Wall

"Trent©" wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:52:55 GMT, V W Wall <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Seagate has a hard drive diagnostic program that fits on a 1.44 floppy.

> I just tried the 2-disc version, Virg.
>
> >It's designed mainly for Seagate drives, but includes a generic test
> >for other makes. It checked a WD drive that I had replaced with a new
> >Seagate 80GB and set up as slave. It reported the FAT32 partition left
> >from the original Win98 installation as well as two Linux partitions and
> >a Linux swap partition I added for RH Linux 9. I've found few drive check
> >programs that will do this. It also has a surface test program that I
> >haven't yet tried. (The quick test showed OK.)

> My version didn't show partitions...it only showed drives.

It (Ver2.00.09), showed partitions on both the Seagate (80GB) and
the old WD (13GB). It identified the two Linux partitions as "unknown",
and the Linux swap file as FAT32. They were shown correctly in
the old Ver. 1.06. They screwed it up with the new version!

> >You can download seatoold.exe from the Seagate site. It makes a 1.44
> >floppy when executed.

> As you said...the new version makes 2 discs. I don't understand
> why...as they could easily just compressed the files and uncompressed
> them into the virtual drive that it creates.

It created a virtual drive "G:", I have drives, (partitions), up to "F:".

Apparantly they wanted it to work regardless of which of the two disks
you booted from. Seems to have all of the boot stuff on both disks.

> >The test results are written to the floppy when
> >the program is used. Seems like a useful program to have in the tool kit.
> >It is supposed to work with NTFS as well as FAT. I know it does Linux!

It wrote the results to my "B:\" drive. I just happen to have two floppy
1.44 drives. I was using the "A:" drive for the diagnostic disks. When I
asked for the results to be written, they appeared on the B:\ drive!

Did you try this? Don't know what it would do if there were no "B:" drive.

> It doesn't check the NTFS file system, Virg.

It doesn't identify Linux partitions anymore either. There is still the old
"one floppy" version shown on the site. Unfortunately it's not available
anymore in the English version. I'll have to hone my German!

Such is progress!!!

Virg Wall
--

Any sufficiently advanced technology