Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dual Network Cards?

Dual Network Cards?

Dan T

Hi all, is there such a thing as a dual network card thats got two RJ45
sockets on it???, i don't really want to get involved with routers because
a) everything works fine as it is, and b) i've got crossover cables, and
don't really want to have to chop the ends off and re-wire them.

Either that or has anyone ever had any problems running 2 network cards at
the same time?

Thanks for help
Dan

Duane Arnold

"Dan T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:btou1b$3ie$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all, is there such a thing as a dual network card thats got two
> RJ45 sockets on it???, i don't really want to get involved with
> routers because a) everything works fine as it is, and b) i've got
> crossover cables, and don't really want to have to chop the ends off
> and re-wire them.
>
> Either that or has anyone ever had any problems running 2 network
> cards at the same time?
>
> Thanks for help
> Dan

Well,

If you're going to do ICS properly, then you'll need two NIC's on the
gateway machine that's providing the WAN/LAN connections.

One NIC that is connected to the modem the WAN/Internet facing NIC on the
gateway machine.

The second NIC facing the LAN side on the gateway machine where a stand
alone hub or switch is connected to the NIC allowing multiple machines to
get a DHCP IP from the gateway machine. Or a cross over cable is used to
connect a single machine to the NIC of the gateway machine to get a DHCP IP
from it.

If the gateway machine is an NT based O/S, then I do hope you'll be
configuring the O/S properly so that it's not a sitting *duck* out there on
the Internet.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

There are links on securing Win2k, XP etc.

You may want to look into IPsec to supplement the host based FW that you
should have on the gateway machine.

the basics

http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm

more detail on the how to(s)

http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm

Duane

Brad

Now doesn't a router seem so much easier.
news:Xns946C511FFD066darnold92insightbbco@63.240.7 6.16...
> "Dan T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:btou1b$3ie$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi all, is there such a thing as a dual network card thats got two
> > RJ45 sockets on it???, i don't really want to get involved with
> > routers because a) everything works fine as it is, and b) i've got
> > crossover cables, and don't really want to have to chop the ends off
> > and re-wire them.
> >
> > Either that or has anyone ever had any problems running 2 network
> > cards at the same time?
> >
> > Thanks for help
> > Dan
> >

> Well,
>
> If you're going to do ICS properly, then you'll need two NIC's on the
> gateway machine that's providing the WAN/LAN connections.
>
> One NIC that is connected to the modem the WAN/Internet facing NIC on the
> gateway machine.
>
> The second NIC facing the LAN side on the gateway machine where a stand
> alone hub or switch is connected to the NIC allowing multiple machines to
> get a DHCP IP from the gateway machine. Or a cross over cable is used to
> connect a single machine to the NIC of the gateway machine to get a DHCP

IP
> from it.
>
> If the gateway machine is an NT based O/S, then I do hope you'll be
> configuring the O/S properly so that it's not a sitting *duck* out there

on
> the Internet.
>
> http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php
>
> There are links on securing Win2k, XP etc.
>
> You may want to look into IPsec to supplement the host based FW that you
> should have on the gateway machine.
>
> the basics
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm
>
> more detail on the how to(s)
>
> http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm
>
> Duane

Bill Nathan

Router are hella easy. Just plug everything in and internet works, and run
Network Setup Wizard and file/printer sharing works. Its not tha hard.
"Brad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btp614$9906u$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Now doesn't a router seem so much easier.
> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns946C511FFD066darnold92insightbbco@63.240.7 6.16...
> > "Dan T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:btou1b$3ie$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > Hi all, is there such a thing as a dual network card thats got two
> > > RJ45 sockets on it???, i don't really want to get involved with
> > > routers because a) everything works fine as it is, and b) i've got
> > > crossover cables, and don't really want to have to chop the ends off
> > > and re-wire them.
> > >
> > > Either that or has anyone ever had any problems running 2 network
> > > cards at the same time?
> > >
> > > Thanks for help
> > > Dan
> > >

> > Well,
> >
> > If you're going to do ICS properly, then you'll need two NIC's on the
> > gateway machine that's providing the WAN/LAN connections.
> >
> > One NIC that is connected to the modem the WAN/Internet facing NIC on

the
> > gateway machine.
> >
> > The second NIC facing the LAN side on the gateway machine where a stand
> > alone hub or switch is connected to the NIC allowing multiple machines

> > get a DHCP IP from the gateway machine. Or a cross over cable is used to
> > connect a single machine to the NIC of the gateway machine to get a DHCP

> IP
> > from it.
> >
> > If the gateway machine is an NT based O/S, then I do hope you'll be
> > configuring the O/S properly so that it's not a sitting *duck* out there

> on
> > the Internet.
> >
> > http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php
> >
> > There are links on securing Win2k, XP etc.
> >
> > You may want to look into IPsec to supplement the host based FW that you
> > should have on the gateway machine.
> >
> > the basics
> >
> > http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm
> >
> > more detail on the how to(s)
> >
> > http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm
> >
> > Duane

Dan T

I've got a USB modem, so i don't have a network card for WAN. Forgot that
loads of people already use ICS for RJ45 modems, and so already use 2
network cards with no prob. Network card No.1 here i come!

news:Xns946C511FFD066darnold92insightbbco@63.240.7 6.16...
> "Dan T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:btou1b$3ie$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi all, is there such a thing as a dual network card thats got two
> > RJ45 sockets on it???, i don't really want to get involved with
> > routers because a) everything works fine as it is, and b) i've got
> > crossover cables, and don't really want to have to chop the ends off
> > and re-wire them.
> >
> > Either that or has anyone ever had any problems running 2 network
> > cards at the same time?
> >
> > Thanks for help
> > Dan
> >

> Well,
>
> If you're going to do ICS properly, then you'll need two NIC's on the
> gateway machine that's providing the WAN/LAN connections.
>
> One NIC that is connected to the modem the WAN/Internet facing NIC on the
> gateway machine.
>
> The second NIC facing the LAN side on the gateway machine where a stand
> alone hub or switch is connected to the NIC allowing multiple machines to
> get a DHCP IP from the gateway machine. Or a cross over cable is used to
> connect a single machine to the NIC of the gateway machine to get a DHCP

IP
> from it.
>
> If the gateway machine is an NT based O/S, then I do hope you'll be
> configuring the O/S properly so that it's not a sitting *duck* out there

on
> the Internet.
>
> http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php
>
> There are links on securing Win2k, XP etc.
>
> You may want to look into IPsec to supplement the host based FW that you
> should have on the gateway machine.
>
> the basics
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/ipsec_block_ping.htm
>
> more detail on the how to(s)
>
> http://lists.gpick.com/pages/IP_Security_(IPSec).htm
>
> Duane

Duane Arnold

"Dan T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:btq5k4$5m7$(E-Mail Removed):

> I've got a USB modem, so i don't have a network card for WAN. Forgot
> that loads of people already use ICS for RJ45 modems, and so already
> use 2 network cards with no prob. Network card No.1 here i come!

Yeah that's true. There are loads of people out there on the Internet
with a gateway Windows O/S machine not properly configured to be a
gateway machine. And you can bet they have been compromised and/or are
being *hacked* to death and don't even know it.

Maybe, you need to implement a Bastion Host machine, since the message of
the router is not being recognized. <g>

http://www.sans.org/resources/idfaq/bastion.php

Hell, TigerDirect had a D-link NAT router on sale for $20.

One let's the NAT router or a FW appliance protect the network and not a
improperly configured Windows O/S gateway machine.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articl...jan_Horses_and
_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

And don't think that your setup is so secure that it cannot happen to
you, because they have to practice on someone before moving to bigger
targets. <g>

Duane