Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Easiest way to trasfer data to laptop

Easiest way to trasfer data to laptop

fjwilson

Recently got an IBM Thinkpad, and I transfer data between it and my
desktop quite a bit. It has a CD/CDRW burner, and no floppy drive(I've
been told that they are starting to offer flopyy drives as an option,
not the standard).
Is the standard way to transfer data between two computers by
writing it to a CDRW, and then placing it in the other machine? It
sounds simple, but if both had floppies, no problem; with CD's,
though, you would have to have the same program installed on both
computers to read it. That would mean the cost of an extra user
license, when all I would be using for would be simple data transfer.
I don't want to make this any more complicated: what is the
easiest way to transfer data between the two?

Thanx in advance.

Fjwilson

Brad

You could just put a network card in the computers and run a crossover
ethernet cable
Or they sell usb file transfer cables. Havn't used them my self i would
think they would be fairly fast.
I have all my computers on a router so i just plug in my laptop whenever i
want access to files or the internet

"fjwilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Recently got an IBM Thinkpad, and I transfer data between it and my
> desktop quite a bit. It has a CD/CDRW burner, and no floppy drive(I've
> been told that they are starting to offer flopyy drives as an option,
> not the standard).
> Is the standard way to transfer data between two computers by
> writing it to a CDRW, and then placing it in the other machine? It
> sounds simple, but if both had floppies, no problem; with CD's,
> though, you would have to have the same program installed on both
> computers to read it. That would mean the cost of an extra user
> license, when all I would be using for would be simple data transfer.
> I don't want to make this any more complicated: what is the
> easiest way to transfer data between the two?
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Fjwilson

Night_Seer

fjwilson wrote:
> Recently got an IBM Thinkpad, and I transfer data between it and my
> desktop quite a bit. It has a CD/CDRW burner, and no floppy drive(I've
> been told that they are starting to offer flopyy drives as an option,
> not the standard).
> Is the standard way to transfer data between two computers by
> writing it to a CDRW, and then placing it in the other machine? It
> sounds simple, but if both had floppies, no problem; with CD's,
> though, you would have to have the same program installed on both
> computers to read it. That would mean the cost of an extra user
> license, when all I would be using for would be simple data transfer.
> I don't want to make this any more complicated: what is the
> easiest way to transfer data between the two?
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Fjwilson

If you use something like Nero and a cd-rw, it uses something called
Incd. The CD-RW you burn with that then provides a sort of "reader" for
the other machine that it can install for you, and requires no extra
user licenses. Its sort of like installing Adobe Acrobat Reader to view
Acrobat files. Another way to do it is to buy a cheap switch and
network the two when you need to.

--
Night_Seer

Trent©

On 9 Jan 2004 06:27:24 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (fjwilson) wrote:

> I don't want to make this any more complicated: what is the
>easiest way to transfer data between the two?

Connect a cable between the two.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Wizard